Freezing Cakes

Decorating By cakesbyamym Updated 1 Jul 2006 , 9:34pm by cakesbyamym

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 5

I have NEVER frozen a cake that I've made before, but now, I think that that would be a great option for me. This coming Saturday, I have TWO wedding cakes going out, plus a bridal taste testing appointment. I would love to only have these cakes done, and decorated by Friday night. Wouldn't it be great not to stay up until the sun comes up working on cakes? icon_smile.gif My question is:

1. How do I need to wrap these cakes to prevent them from tasting freezer burnt, etc.? I was thinking that I'd overwrap each layer in plastic wrap a couple of times, and then again with aluminum foil. I want them to stay just as moist as they are when they come out of the oven.

Also, since I'm off from work tomorrow and again on Tuesday, I was also thinking of making up the 16 dozen mints to go along with my earliest cake order. How long will these keep? Again, I've never done anything this far ahead before.

Thanks for the help...again! icon_smile.gif

Amy

4 replies
reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 5

The plan for the freezing of your cakes is right on the money. Two layers of plastic wrap and one of foil. Sorry I can't help out with the mints.

frindmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frindmi Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 5

I can´t help out with the mints either but I have frozen cakes before and I´ve done what you say, doblewrap them in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. After that I put them in a clean garbage bag. I put my cakes in them when I make them and the next day when I´m ready to decorate they are as moist as can be. At least I know it can´t hurt. icon_biggrin.gif

Inma

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 5

Someone on another board told me you can have the mints for months without any harm..... Just keep them in Tupperware, or a seal container.......

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks to each of you for your responses to yet another of my questions! I hated the thoughts of attempting to freeze cakes improperly, and wasting my time and supplies, as well. I knew that I'd get the answer I needed. I just worked on a few dozen mints while I waited for a reply. Thanks again! I truly appreciate all of your help!!! icon_smile.gif

Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%