My Very First Frozen Buttercream Transfer

Decorating By LeanLioness Updated 1 Mar 2007 , 6:10pm by rlsaxe

LeanLioness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanLioness Posted 18 Nov 2004 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 9

I did my first buttercream transfer last night and it turned out ok. I did a very simple, simple Winnie the Pooh idea though.....

I am doing the Fairly Odd Parents this weekend for a birthday cake.....

I am going to post this in the gallery.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&pos=-959

8 replies
southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 18 Nov 2004 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 9

icon_biggrin.gif Great job!

I now love doing the transfers and look for excuses to try different ones!

Many thanks to cali4dawn for teaching us all this great technique!

Amy

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 18 Nov 2004 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 9

It's absolutely wonderful!! A great first attempt. I'm going to make one simple suggestion. I started to PM you, but thought that it may be of help to others.

Keep in mind the shape you are filling in. For instance, the shape of his leg where it would join his body. Use the icing to create an illusion of life, depth and texture. While you're piping in the area, keep the areas separate by piping the leg first and following the contour of the roundness of the leg. I hope this is making sense.

You did an absolutely wonderful job and you will only improve. In fact, that was the only suggestion I could find! So, pretty cool, huh?

Now as for people constantly thanking me...

I truly appreciate it. But always remember that YOU are doing the work. YOU are providing the talent. I only gave a few simple instructions. It is up to you to take those blueprints, not be afraid to implement them, and make them your own. You all are doing so well. I'm so proud that you are willing to try new and sometimes what seems like scary things. Keep on plugging away! I have seen so much improvement in many of you newbies. Never, ever underestimate yourselves! thumbs_up.gif

LeanLioness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanLioness Posted 20 Nov 2004 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 9

Cali4Dawn -

I can't thank you enough for having those instructions out there for everyone though!!!

I did my second frozen buttercream transfer last night and this one is better than the first one, but much more complicated.....

It was the Fairly Odd Parents from Nickelodeon.......

tree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tree Posted 20 Nov 2004 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 9

HI I'm to the cake decorating world and I was thinking about tring to do a frozen buttercream transfer for thanksgiving and I need some help
If could help yours where great.

I was wonder what buttercream recipe you used I use the all shortening recipe and I didn't know if it would work. also did you use some other icing for black outline and did you brush it and what brush and do cover the whole back when you finsh the same color as the cake.
You can e-mail me at [email protected] please help thank you very much tree.

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 20 Nov 2004 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 9

Calif4dawn has posted step by steps on how to do this in the article section. You can do it with any buttercream recipe or you can do it with chocolate melts.

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 21 Nov 2004 , 1:33am
post #7 of 9

LeanLioness- I saw your cake and posted a response. Much better! The first one was nice; this one is VERY nice!!!

Tree:

Many of your questions are answered in my tutorial found on this site in the articles section. But to quickly answer your questions:

1) I was wonder what buttercream recipe you used I use the all-shortening recipe and I didn't know if it would work.

I have had better luck using a high butter content recipe. But others have used an all-shortening recipe with success. You can always try a small sample of your icing and see what happens. I suggest you just create 2-3 colors. Make a circle with your outline color and place those 2-3 colors inside the circle. Freeze it and see if it peels off of your wax paper. If not use a butter recipe.

2) Did you use some other icing for black outline

Cheap store brand fudge icing works well. Wal-Mart brand works really well. Name brands tend to be too creamy. You need a thick icing for this, otherwise it smears when you lay down the filling colors.

3) Did you brush it and what brush

Im not sure what your question is here. Did I brush it after flipping it over onto the cake? NO. Once I did, but it was part of the effect I was going after. Its not a general BCT rule.

4) Do cover the whole back when you finish the same color as the cake.

For best results, yes. This not only give a better visual, it strengthens the cake and helps to prevent breakage of the BCT. It tends to break at the colors seams when not strong enough.

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 6:09pm
post #8 of 9

I need to try this. Just read about it two days ago. Looks like a great idea.

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 6:10pm
post #9 of 9

and oh my gosh. You did a GREAT JOB on Winnie! Looks awesome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%