Getting Nervous...1 Stacked Cake...

Decorating By pump_jc Updated 1 Jul 2006 , 1:16pm by pump_jc

pump_jc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pump_jc Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 12:47pm
post #1 of 15

Okay - I'm doing my first stacked cake for my cousin's birthday party on 7/4/06. It's going to be two tiers (8 in. and 6 in.) frosted in buttercream.

I know to dowel the bottom tier to keep the top one from sinking in on it. I have 6 in. cake circles to put the top tier on. What I don't understand is how I'm going to frost the 6 in. tier and move it on top of the 8 in. tier without putting my fingers into the frosting, since the 6 inch cake board won't overlap.

Does that make sense?

Any stacking tips for a newbie?!?!

14 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 12:55pm
post #2 of 15

I use BIG off-set spatulas...two of them

you WILL get one or two small finger prints in very bottom edge of top tier -- which of course disapper when you pipe on the border that hides the joint.
LL

pump_jc Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 12:56pm
post #3 of 15

Oh my goodness! I can't believe I didn't think about that!

Thank you so much!

Any other tips for a newbie doing her first stacked cake?

pump_jc Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 12:57pm
post #4 of 15

Also - I have cardboard cakeboards for the 6 inch layer...do I need to use something in addition to that when stacking the cakes?

Doug Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 12:58pm
post #5 of 15

cover the circle so they don't get greasy/soggy.

those and the dowels will be good enough.

pump_jc Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 12:59pm
post #6 of 15

What's the best thing to use to cover the board?

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 1:04pm
post #7 of 15

I have spatula issues, LOL. Here's another option...
I cut the dowels to the correct size then leave them sticking up out of the cake about 1/2". This space allows you to get your fingers out of the way. Center the top tier just above the bottom and then "drop" it. Gravity will take over and the weight of the top tier will push the dowels the rest of the way in. First time you do it, you'll be a little nervous LOL, but no fingers in the icing!

pump_jc Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 1:05pm
post #8 of 15

I understand that beachcakes - what I need help with is after I've iced the cake, then I have to pick it up, and it's on the cake circle that's the size of the cake, so I don't know how to get my hands under there...

pump_jc Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 1:06pm
post #9 of 15

And if the cake is for Tuesday....when would you make and ice it? I have to work the majority of the day Monday, so I was thinking I would do it today or tomorrow...

Would you make the cake today or tomorrow for a party on Tuesday?

THANKS!!!!!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 1:07pm
post #10 of 15

Oh sorry! icon_redface.gif misread the post!

Doug Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 1:07pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pump_jc

What's the best thing to use to cover the board?

all kinds of options:

the foils Wilton and others sell especially for this

but...

lots of folks here use clear contact paper. (this also allows you to use any wrapping paper for the bottom board that shows...pick cute/fun/neat design, cover in clear contact paper...viola...themed, fancy cake board)

pump_jc Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 1:09pm
post #12 of 15

It's all good beachcakes - I'll be using your dowel method, probably in addition to Doug's spatula method! I knew I'd get the help I needed here!!!

Y'all are great!!!!

Doug Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 1:11pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

I have spatula issues, LOL. Here's another option...
I cut the dowels to the correct size then leave them sticking up out of the cake about 1/2". This space allows you to get your fingers out of the way. Center the top tier just above the bottom and then "drop" it. Gravity will take over and the weight of the top tier will push the dowels the rest of the way in. First time you do it, you'll be a little nervous LOL, but no fingers in the icing!

hmmm, learn something new every day! THANKS!

Doug Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 1:14pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pump_jc

And if the cake is for Tuesday....when would you make and ice it? I have to work the majority of the day Monday, so I was thinking I would do it today or tomorrow...

Would you make the cake today or tomorrow for a party on Tuesday?

THANKS!!!!!

sure you can do it today or tomorrow and stash in fridge. biggest concern will be condensation when you take it out... but your home does have A/C doesn't it...so not too much to worry about.

I actually prefer to work on a cold cake...base icing is stronger (and with cold icing too -- hot hands problem!)

pump_jc Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 1:16pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks for all of your help! I really appreciate it!!! I'll be sure to post photos of the finished product!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%