Need Ideas For "bling" Cake...

Decorating By Starkie Updated 26 May 2007 , 4:04pm by birdgirl

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 25 May 2007 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 10

I need to make a cake for a teacher who just LOVES the sparkly bling-bling. The only idea I have so far is the sketch that follows ~ sheet cake covered in chocolate BC; 4-6" diameter PVC pipe, cut to about 4-6", covered in fondant; cake ball stuff crumbled onto the top of the pipe, possibly covered in more fontant, to give that "mountain" look; rock candy "jewels" inside the pipe and in the opening; small train car carrying more jewels; with sign "Mrs. B's Bling Mine" on the side.

Does anyone have any other ideas, or can someone give me some tips on how to pull this off? I have never made candy or rock candy, so I'm a little scared to give it a try. (Candy thermometers are very intimidating...)

TIA!!

<Starkie>
LL

9 replies
Starkie Posted 26 May 2007 , 1:16am
post #2 of 10

Anyone?...

<S>

disp4so Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disp4so Posted 26 May 2007 , 1:24am
post #3 of 10

this website sells candy "jewels"

http://www.thejewelsofdenial.com/

might save you the trouble of trying to make those..

good luck

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 26 May 2007 , 1:27am
post #4 of 10

really cute idea! (and great sketch too!)

instead of covered pipe -- i might hollow out a cave in a full size wonder mold. (so more cake to eat)

and check around to see if you an get those rind pops -- they look like a kids toy but the jewel, which looks like an over sized diamond, is pure candy and comes in many colors.
http://www.topps.com/Confectionery/RingPop/RP_products.html

just break them off the ring and use as the jewels.

bejewelled Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bejewelled Posted 26 May 2007 , 7:23am
post #5 of 10

Some of the rock sugars you can buy look like diamonds in the rough. I'm all for a cake hill too

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 26 May 2007 , 7:33am
post #6 of 10

Wow those jewels are great!!! I'm doing a pirate themed cake for a business in June....I will definately be looking at using these!!! Thanks for the link!!

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 26 May 2007 , 1:31pm
post #8 of 10

Don't be afraid of making the rock candy. It's a lot of fun and a holiday thing here at the house. I never use a thermometer on it, just wait until it reaches that point where the syrup forms a "blown glass" type look when its dribbled into cold water. I have a mold to see if it will make the jewels very well without leading to my loss of religion. I'm considering putting silver dust on the back of each jewel to see if it will shine more.

Good luck.

Starkie Posted 26 May 2007 , 1:32pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you all for the thoughts! Doug, my husband recommended the same thing ~ using the wonder mold and digging it out. Also, disp4so and others, those candy jewels are AWESOME!!!! I will definitely have to buy them instead of trying to make them.

Thanks, everyone!!!

<Starkie>

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 26 May 2007 , 4:04pm
post #10 of 10

I bought some jewel candy molds at a local craft and hobby shop and they sold the candy mix to pour into them as well. I use a recipe I have but it is so easy to make--don't be scared it is simple!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%