Need Help With Medical Themed Cakes

Decorating By cakesbyamym Updated 4 Jul 2006 , 3:55pm by Doug

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 10

Help!!! icon_cry.gif I just took THREE orders from our local hospital for next month. I can handle one cake. It's a celebration cake. No problem. My problem is with the other two cakes. Customer wants both to be sheet cakes, so I'm somewhat limited. Any ideas or suggestions for these cakes? I'll all ears...

Cake #1-A thank you cake for three different departments within the hospital for all of the work that they've been doing above and beyond...

Cake #2-Promotion cake...one of the employees has just been promoted to administrative director of the hospital.

I appreciate any all of your wonderful, inventive ideas! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks!
Amy

9 replies
prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 8:14pm
post #2 of 10

Well, since my sister is a physician (an Oncologist/Hematologist), and she is always reading these huge books, wearing a white gown and carrying a stethoscope. So maybe, make these things out of gumpaste and put them on the cake. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 10

cake #1
-- a big thermometer that has burst through the top?
-- one of those heart/respiration monitors or ekg going off the chart?
-- 3 big stars for the "super stars"? (could even do all kinds of stars on wires and star cookies too)
-- a big heart (or 3 big ones) surrounded by lots of little hearts? (ditto for cookies)
-- big gold medal or blue ribbon?

cake #2
-- person climbing a staircase?
-- crown for the new "king of the castle"?
-- little martians or some kind of aliens(ooo..some of those little buggies they're always trying to kill!) ...take us to your leader????
-- reserved parking sign?
-- guy on roof of hospital -- welcome to your new office above it all??
-- big bottle of aspirin (or some other painkiller) for all the headaches to come?
-- door to office w/ name on it?

Momof3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof3boys Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 10

Cake A- What departments are these for? I would go with the type of department and go around that with the ideas. If it is Radiology then something with Xrays,Phlebotomy-Something having to do with drawing blood etc....

cakesbyamym Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 10

Great ideas!!! Doug, LOVED the little man on the roof/your new office idea!!! LOVED it. Okay, the departments on the thank you cake aren't your normal departments. It's the engineering department, education, and don't have the order handy to recall the third. Anyway, I think that I'm leaning towards Doug's above mentioned idea for the promotion cake. If anyone thinks of anything else, let me know. These two cakes aren't going out until 7/19, so I still have time...

Thanks again!
Amy

Doug Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 8:59pm
post #6 of 10

additional silly thought on the guy on the roof idea:

secretary also there saying "and here's your bungee cord...just in case!" with cord looped about a third of way down the front of building.

(and please do find out the 3rd dept...can really have fun w/ the two already mentioned!)

and....

back to cake #1

sort of an outer space scene w/ one person for each dept floating way, way above a distant Earth (going above and beyond.....)

kerririchards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerririchards Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 1:52am
post #7 of 10

Okay, none of my ideas are as creative as Doug's (he stands in a class all by himself!) but I thought I would throw this out . . . since they have to be sheet cakes, why not make cake A look like an actual thank you card - with a picture on one side and a thank you greeting on the other. (I think I have an example of what I am talking about in my photos). Cake B could look like a congratulations plaque or maybe in diploma form.

Doug Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 11:14am
post #8 of 10

(while still waiting on dept #3)....

engineering people building/holding support for blackboard/projection screen & projector that education people are using and ???(dept 3)???

rocket ship cake for engineering

A+++ cake for education

(dept #3)

cakesbyamym Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 1:54am
post #9 of 10

Doug, department 3 is merely the initials of a monetary contributors name to the hospital that made a grant. The lady that ordered the cakes said that it was more or less a department for the donor's daughter to run. Didn't elaborate further. Said she simply wanted a thank you sheet cake that was festively decorated. No problem. I have a plan in mind...just need to get it down on the back of the order sheet before I forget the details...

Thanks again for your ideas!
Amy

Doug Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 3:55pm
post #10 of 10

oic.. gotcha!

looking forward to the pics.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%