What Else To Decorate?

Baking By asmith Updated 30 May 2007 , 7:19pm by maladymay

asmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asmith Posted 25 May 2007 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 6

I have been practicing decorating cookies lately and am wondering what other kinds lend themselves to cut outs? My DH is getting tired of sugar cookies, although I have to say that I LOVE icon_biggrin.gif Penny's recipe. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 25 May 2007 , 10:22pm
post #2 of 6

Have you tried chocolate dough? I substitute cocoa powder for some of my flour.

CupCake13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake13 Posted 28 May 2007 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 6

Try flavoring your sugar cookie dough with things like lemon, orange (my favorite) or lime zests.

Add some almond flavoring.

Try adding something odd like rosemary or lavender with lemon - to totally change the taste.

You might have some success with a ginger cookie too - as they can be pretty sturdy cookies.

Rudith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rudith Posted 29 May 2007 , 2:52pm
post #4 of 6

Any of you have a request for cookies with allergies(eggs) I would like to make the icing for the cookies but they have meringue powder i can't use that???

cookiecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiecreations Posted 29 May 2007 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by R

Any of you have a request for cookies with allergies(eggs) I would like to make the icing for the cookies but they have i can't use that???

I had one order where there was one child that had an egg allergy so they asked me to decorate two chips-ahoy cookies, apparently the only kind of cookie she could eat, so I used buttercream icing. What type of cookie recipe are you making without eggs?

maladymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maladymay Posted 30 May 2007 , 7:19pm
post #6 of 6

If you're just practicing, dont use cookies at all! I was wasting so many ingredients just "practicing" (butta aint cheap!), and we couldn't eat 'em quick enough. Or sometimes I wanted to practice, so I started, and then something came up, but it didn't matter whether or not I finished them because it was, after all, only practice...

Anyway, I found a recipe for "cookie clay" (if you google it, about a million recipes come up). Its a salt dough recipe, you just make it, cut it out and let it dry for a few days. Then you can decorate it with RI or RBC, and if you want, you can hang on to them for display or inspiration or whatever. And it SUPER cheap to make (I got a 25lb bag of salt @ Costco for I think less than 4 bucks!)

Anyway, worked for me, and I didn't end up wasting a bunch of ingredients! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%