How Much Would You Charge For This...

Business By afolk Updated 30 Jun 2006 , 9:01pm by malika

afolk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afolk Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 11:38am
post #1 of 7

A friend of mine just got engaged and just asked me about how much this cake (see below) might cost. She said it's pretty much what she wants - simple square tiers w/their monogram. Same size as pictured. As I've only been doing cakes for about a year and have been paid for only one single cake ever (definitely not a wedding cake!), I don't really know what to tell her! We're in upstate SC. Any ballpark figures would be appreciated so I can relay the message on to her!

Thanks!!
LL

6 replies
aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 11:44am
post #2 of 7

Typically people say to charge 2-3 times the number of servings, since that seems like a pretty simple cake, you maay need to add more for the flowers on top and the stand. It LOOKS like it's a 16" on the bottom, 12" and then 8" and if that's right, in SC, I would say about $600.

kerririchards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerririchards Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 11:57am
post #3 of 7

I would say maybe $2-2.50 per serving times the amount of servings for that particular cake, and that is just for a buttercream cake with buttercream decorations. A cake covered in fondant or a cake with fondant accents would incur additional costs. The flowers and renting the cake stand of course would be an extra expense that she needs to take care of.

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 12:04pm
post #4 of 7

I just did the same cake last weekend. I only charged $290. I should have charged $500. The cake was Martha Stewarts Apple Caramel with homemade caramel cream cheese for a filling. The decorating was more then this cake you are showing. If you are going with a basic yellow or chocolate cake I would ask $450. Plus she is a friend of yours so do you want to give her a discount? maybe $375. my tiers were 12 10 and 6 inches. It a great cake. Time consuming though. I did my tiers off center.
LL

afolk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afolk Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 12:12pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the ideas!

Sunflowerfreak - that cake is so pretty! And isn't the apple caramel cake absolutely delicious?! I made one of those a couple weekends ago just to try the recipe, and it's definitely something I'll do again! (Although it sure is a pain in the rear grating all those apples!)

pbeckwith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeckwith Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 2:06pm
post #6 of 7

I'm searching for the recipe for Martha's Apple Caramel/ caramel cream cheese - I'm not having any luck. Could you direct me in the right place or supply that recipe? Sounds like one I'd like to do. Thanking in advance.

malika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malika Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 7

Is this the recipe for Martha Stewart's cake?
http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=recipe3570009&layout=martha

Apple Spice Cake

Serves 10

1 1/3     cups vegetable oil

3     cups all-purpose flour

1     tablespoon ground cinnamon

1     teaspoon baking soda

1     teaspoon salt

2     cups sugar

3     large eggs

3 to 4     Granny Smith apples, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (3 cups)

1     cup chopped assorted nuts, such as pecans and walnuts (optional)

1     teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Caramel Sauce

Nonstick cooking spray with flour

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 12-cup bundt pan with cooking spray; set aside.

2. Working over a large sheet of parchment paper, sift together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt; gather sifted ingredients into center of sheet; set aside.

3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine vegetable oil, sugar, and eggs; mix on high speed until lemon yellow.

4. Fold reserved parchment in half lengthwise; with mixer on medium speed, gradually shake in dry ingredients until just incorporated.

5. Add apples and, if desired, nuts, to batter; mix to combine. Add vanilla, mixing until incorporated.

6. Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 75 to 90 minutes.

7. Remove from oven, and cool slightly on a wire rack.

8. Invert cake onto rack; turn cake right-side up to cool completely on rack, and serve drizzled with caramel sauce

Note: Recipe courtesy of Dorothy Mae Brown

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%