Imbc-- I Tried It.. Hubby Loves It.. Kids Love It.. I Love I

Decorating By lilthorner Updated 30 Jun 2006 , 6:28am by ninaross

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 5:22am
post #1 of 11

I finally (after much reading) tried IMBC tonight. I bopught just whites or whatever they are called. it was great! at least out of the bowl it is great. I havent eaten a piece of the cake yet.

the kids kept wasling by and getting the icignthat I dropped on the counter. I also practiced (for the first time) scroll work..I think it looks really nice although it is my first time.. I posted a pic in my gallery

10 replies
ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 5:24am
post #2 of 11

which recipe for IMBC did you try? I haven't tried it yet so if you have a good recipe, please share. Your cake looks great . . . did you do the scrolls freehand or did you use imprints? Very nice!

vpaz24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vpaz24 Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 5:29am
post #3 of 11

I have been afraid to try it because I keep reading about the possibility of saminila poisoning from the raw eggs. Does anyone know any more details about that?

PS - Your cake looks really good!

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 5:31am
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkerber

which recipe for IMBC did you try? I haven't tried it yet so if you have a good recipe, please share. Your cake looks great . . . did you do the scrolls freehand or did you use imprints? Very nice!

Thank yuo! I did the scrolls freehand (probably why they all look like they are going the same way)

i used martha sewarts IMBC recipe that has been posted here:

Italian Meringue Buttercream
1 1/4 cups sugar
5 large egg whites
Pinch of cream of tartar
1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring sugar and 2/3 cup water to a boil. Continue boiling until syrup reaches 238° on a candy thermometer (soft-ball stage).

2. Meanwhile, place egg whites in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, and beat on low speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar, and beat on medium-high speed until stiff but not dry; do not overbeat.

3. With mixer running, add syrup to whites in a stream, beating on high speed until no longer steaming, about 3 minutes. Add butter bit by bit, beating until spreadable, 3 to 5 minutes; beat in vanilla. If icing curdles, keep beating until smooth.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 5:35am
post #5 of 11

vpaz24

You can use powdered egg whites or powdered meringue powder in place of fresh egg whites.

HTH

vpaz24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vpaz24 Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 5:42am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

vpaz24

You can use powdered egg whites or powdered meringue powder in place of fresh egg whites.

HTH

Thank you!

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 5:46am
post #7 of 11

Thanks for sharing your recipe! I can't wait to try it. I'm impressed that your scrolls are freehand . . . I would have bet otherwise. Good job!

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 6:11am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpaz24

I have been afraid to try it because I keep reading about the possibility of saminila poisoning from the raw eggs. Does anyone know any more details about that?

The egg whites are not "raw" because the candy syrup you add to them is about 240 degrees which is more than hot enough to cook the egg including any bacteria that could exist.

No one that I know has died from eating IMBC, but you feel like you're in heaven. icon_smile.gif

Just a note, if you do use processed egg whites, make sure they are the type that can be whipped. I tried to do it once and found out that not all types will work. icon_cry.gif

ninaross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninaross Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 6:15am
post #9 of 11

imbc. what is imbc icon_confused.gif

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 6:24am
post #10 of 11

IMBC = Italian Meringue Buttercream.

Here is a link for common acronyms found on CC (Cake Central)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926.html

ninaross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninaross Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 6:28am
post #11 of 11

thanks that really helps thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%