Why Did My Cakes Deflate???

Decorating By missyjo30 Updated 1 Jul 2006 , 1:03am by sunflowerfreak

missyjo30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyjo30 Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 2:50am
post #1 of 10

I am trying to "doctor" up a cake mix and when they came out of the oven they looked great. About 2 minutes later they were totally sunk!!! the cake just deflated. Any suggestion why this happens.

I will tell you what I used, in case I used too much of something.

1 box mix
1/2 C butter
4 eggs
1.5 C milk
1 small box pudding
1 C sour cream

Can anyone help me????

9 replies
missyjo30 Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 3:04am
post #2 of 10

please....

candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 3:14am
post #3 of 10

I would say too much liquid. I use 1 box, 1/2 cup oil (I use butter in my icing, not my cakes), 4 eggs, 1 cup milk or water, 1 box pudding.

Were they completely done inside? What method did you use to tell that they were done?

missyjo30 Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 3:17am
post #4 of 10

They were done, really really moist ( I think I did add too much liquid). I used the toothpick and they came out clean.

Im not sure where the sourcream comes from, but I think I may omit that and add 1C milk instead of 1.5.

candy177 Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 3:24am
post #5 of 10

Hmmm. I think too much liquid then. I've heard of people adding sour cream to their mixes, but I've never done so.

What I do is the above recipe, I overfill my pans a little so that when they come out, I can just level right across the top of the pan. I use the bake even strips and level them IMMEDIATELY after coming out of the oven. Make sure you get all of that top "skin" off. Then, I immediately flip them out of the pan onto a wire rack (do this carefully) that's covered in plastic wrap and wrap them right on up. They stay soooo moist even after being on my counter for a day or two. I noticed though, if you don't remove that top "skin", you end up with a gummy texture on top. Dunno why. Hence the overfilling. Plus, then I have some scraps I can munch on! icon_razz.gif

Someone here on CC mentioned the wrapping part. Someone else (I forget who both these people are LOL) also heard/says that when steam is rising from your cake, that's the moisture leaving!

Very yummy. Sorry your cakes fell. Did you open the oven door mid-baking? I know that can cause a fall too (done that myself LOL).

missyjo30 Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 3:30am
post #6 of 10

Good tip with the wrap. I was watching food network and some famous bakery flips the pans onto a steel countertop (w/the cakes still in them) the second they come out of the oven, to preserve the moisture.

Well, I think im going to give the sour cream the boot. I will try your recipies and stick with it.

I keep laughing because the cakes looks so pittiful. They are freestyle topsy turvy..lol...(some are going sideways, etc.)

Thanks for the help!!

missyjo30 Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 3:32am
post #7 of 10

By the way Candy, your cakes look great!!! I love what you do with the sheet cakes. You really put a creative spin on the borders, etc. Great job!!!!! I enjoyed your website!!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 3:37am
post #8 of 10

It seems you have too many things going on at one time with your mixes. Either do the extender recipe OR the pudding one, but combining all of them makes it fall.

I have read that some folks have this issue with using the butter along with the milk - too much dairy product seems to have that deflating affect on the cakes. I would either use water with the butter or oil with the milk and see how that does.

I also don't use all of those ingredients when I am using a box of instant pudding. If I am using the pudding, I use the recipe on the box, with only an additonal egg and the box of pudding added. That works out really well too.

candy177 Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 1:00am
post #9 of 10

Thanks! Since I work in a supermarket bakery, most of the cakes I do are sheet cakes. So yeah.

Hey, I've had my share of baddddd cakes! icon_razz.gif I tried to make a tilted cake in the shape of a giant cupcake...needless to say, the entire cake shifted and it looked pretty pitiful. So bad, that I decided to just chuck it! icon_razz.gif

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 1:03am
post #10 of 10

if they were large cakes like 10 inches I always put the flower nail in the middle of the cake while baking and it makes the cakes on sink.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%