Candy Melts

Decorating By zoesmommy27 Updated 1 Jul 2006 , 10:41am by Fascination

zoesmommy27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoesmommy27 Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 2:16am
post #1 of 10

Okay I need to make a few decorations with the candy melts. and my walmart only has the white or chocolate, no colors. and they dont sell the color melts either. Can I use the icing coloring or something else, and how far in advance can i make these, its gonna be stars on lollipop sticks?

thanks in advance

9 replies
imbkay13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imbkay13 Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 2:22am
post #2 of 10

I tried it once and it didn't work very well the color separated from the candy . Do you have any other craft stores in your area that you could see if they carry the candy melts?

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 2:33am
post #3 of 10

Don't know if you have Michaels in you area, but they decorator colors for chocolate.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 2:34am
post #4 of 10

I've made pastels using the icing colors without a problem but I had to make black recently and it was last minute. No time to order online and no one local sold black colored melts or black candy color. I decided to add Wilton black to the melts. After adding the color, I added some vegetable oil. It worked great. I got the tip here on CC a while ago but can't remember from who...but thanks! I used the black to hand paint the lighthouses in my pics. I molded and painted 48 of them in a hurry so they aren't perfect but I thought they turned out cute.

zoesmommy27 Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 3:40am
post #5 of 10

well I really just need to make yellow stars , and then some ballons, colors arent that important.
can you tell me how much oil and how i do it, sorry never worked with candy melts before.

how long ahead of time can i make them and how do i store them

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 4:05am
post #6 of 10

If after adding the color, the candy melts haven't seized or thickened so much that you can't pour them, you won't need to add any oil. If they do thicken or seize, add enough oil to make them fluid enough to pour into the molds. It won't take much at all. Add a little at a time and stir. I've molded pale yellow stars for a baby shower cake using Wilton yellow and I didn't need to add any oil.

You can make them up well in advance and store them covered in a cool place. I sandwich them between two pieces of waxed paper and fold the edges.

zoesmommy27 Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 1:01pm
post #7 of 10

Okay I hope Im not sounding stupid but should i keep the finshed candy int he fridge or just out in the house,
and when i make my daugthers cake the night before, i dont think i have a box to keep in it, it will stay fresh being left out? could i store it in the over, i read that some where?

lehall2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lehall2006 Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 1:13pm
post #8 of 10

I use candy colors to tint my white wafer chocolate. Once your design sets, I'd suggest storing it in a tupperware lined with parchment or a big ziplock at room temp, as long as your house isn't too warm. I wait to apply the design until I'm ready to finish the cake.

I tend to keep most of my finished cakes boxed up in the fridge, even the ones with wafer designs on them, and I've had no problems.

My other suggestion re: working with the wafers is to make sure your designs are thick enough (at least 1/8" all around), and that you let them set up completely before peeling them off the parchment paper or taking them out of the mold. Otherwise, they will break. icon_cry.gif I had that happen once with a VW beetle I made.

Good luck, and have fun with the wafers! I really love working with them.

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 1:15pm
post #9 of 10

Finished candy is fine without being refrigerated. Sometimes you get a film on it if you do refrigerate. As for the oil, just add enough to make it pourable.

Fascination Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fascination Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 10:41am
post #10 of 10

Let me add my opinion. I do quite a bit of work with chocolate, including cake decorations / chocolate transfers. If all you can get is the white chocolate, yes you can make colors by adding icing colors (just make sure that they are not water based, & stir gently till color is consistant, otherwise you get a marbled effect).
If you need to add oil to the melted chocolate, add only a couple of drops at a time and stir; check for smoothness & add a couple more drops if necesary; Also please note: use a light vegetable oil.. this will not add or change the flavor of the chocolate. Once your stars are done, you can store in air tight container, in a cool place (does not need refrigeration); if you need to store for a long time, double wrap them & keep in the freezer.
IMS

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%