So Much For Walmart....

Lounge By booberfrog Updated 3 Jul 2006 , 8:09pm by yukisaru

booberfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
booberfrog Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 12:41am
post #1 of 37

I had been trying to figure out a way to get around 6 dozen cupcakes to my uncle' s farm, it is around 30 minutes away and then you have to drive down a long bumpy dirt road.
Anyway, I live in a town where the only place to get stuff for cake decorating is at Walmart or Hobby Lobby.
We have 3stores that have bakeries in them.
I called Walmart and they said that thery could not sell me any cupcake holders.
I called Albertsons and they said no also, even though a girl sold me a box last week.
So I called United and thought , they will probably say no too.
But they actually said yes! The girl told me she'd have them up at the front of the store and have a price for me when I got there.
I figured around 1.00 a piece(they each hold a dozen)
I got there, they went and got them for me, the manager looked at them and said "I guess they are free, she didn't put a price on them"
handed them too me, I said thank you and walked out!!
Walmart wound't SELL them to me and this place just gave them away no questions asked!!
I really hate Walmart some times!
Anyway just wanted to share

36 replies
lilie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilie Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 12:48am
post #2 of 37

I know what you mean. I have had my quarles with Walmart too.
Way to go on getting you holders for free!!!!!
You hit the jackpot!!!

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 12:53am
post #3 of 37

Although I love Walmart, I think their customer service suck !!
They are not the very best when it comes to service. But then again, look at the type of people they hire ? definitely not the cream of the crop !! But I shop there every week because they have everything I want. That's ok, I'll deal with it everytime.. icon_wink.gif

Maybe next time just go directly to that store since they were very nice to you. icon_sad.gif Sorry that they said no to you at Walmart.. show us a photo of your cup cakes.. icon_smile.gif b][/b]

DoubleODanish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoubleODanish Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 1:09am
post #4 of 37

Okay, I had to post! Your story made me chuckle because I used to live in small-town Oklahoma. We only had United and Wal-Mart, not even Hobby Lobby or Albertson's, those were 45 minutes away. Anyway, very similar experience with the United bakery. They often just gave me something when I asked if they could sell it to me, and other times just charged me a few pennies. The staff was always helpful and a million times better than WalMart.

TERRYHORTON Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TERRYHORTON Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 1:13am
post #5 of 37

Speaking of Wally WOrld......I saw a fondant bow(premade) going for $16.97!!!!!

Im in the wrong business!!!!
LOL

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 6:48am
post #6 of 37

That's because marketing has made Wal-Mart seem like the "down home" USA business, with a smiling representative ready to great you at the door.

In reality, they are a cut throat business where 60% of their product is made overseas. They killed the small, local bakeries and those that are still out there have to make sacrifices to compete. Wal-mart is all about sacrificing convenience over quality and the more people that buy from them, the less competition they have. Think before you buy.

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 1:39pm
post #7 of 37

All I have here is a WalMart icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 1:47pm
post #8 of 37

The problem with Wal-mart...no one can think outside of the box. If they have any out of the ordinary requests, they just can't handle it. The people they hire are there to do ONLY what they are hired to do. They are not paid to think, just be mechanical at their jobs.

I love their prices for cake ingredients but their customer service is wretched!!!!

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 4:22pm
post #9 of 37

I thought it was just me.

I live in a city where I have access to just about any store I want. Once in a rare while I will go to WalMart to pick something up cheap and you really get what you pay for.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 4:29pm
post #10 of 37

You all HAVE to see this!!! http://www.jibjab.com/JokeBox/JokeBox_JJOrig.aspx?movieid=122

I hate Wal-mart just b/c it usually seems so dirty........ (and sometimes the people there scare me - not just the workers - but the customers.... icon_eek.gif )

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 5:32pm
post #11 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettycake

They are not the very best when it comes to service. But then again, look at the type of people they hire ? definitely not the cream of the crop !! b][/b]

you mean some of your fellow cc memebers??? You do realize that some of those bakers are here too......

I think the comment was a bit uncalled for

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 5:49pm
post #12 of 37

imartsy ~ I'm still laughing over this video clip.
Although I shouldn't be because it's really a SAD thing Walmart has done to this country.

tayesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tayesmama Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 5:54pm
post #13 of 37

twinsline7 - I was thinking the same thing. Thank you for voicing your concern as well.

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 6:05pm
post #14 of 37

OMG, that video was great....ROFL!!! Thanks for posting.

The sad irony is that it is all true.

sprtd76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sprtd76 Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 6:07pm
post #15 of 37

I understand the frustation you are feeling towards Walmart, but your frustation should be towards their policies and not their employees. If it weren't for these people taking the retail jobs, who would you have to make sure shelves are stocked, goods priced and check you out of the store? These are people out trying to make a buck and support their families just like everyone else in the world.

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 6:13pm
post #16 of 37

I hate our Walmart here, mostly due to the fact that it does not have a real grocery section and some of the cashiers are slower than molasses! However, I can not get around having to shop there for some needs due to budget restrictions. If I really get depressed about having to go to my local Walmart, I would much rather drive to the three story Walmart in West L.A. (There aren't any Super Walmarts in my area period!)

RaRaRobyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaRaRobyn Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 6:15pm
post #17 of 37

Twinsline7 - Thank you...I used to work there! icon_redface.gif

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 6:15pm
post #18 of 37

icon_cry.gif Please don't lump all Walmart employees as not caring and dumb - I run my office and have been in my full-time job for about 18 years, and have on a couple of occasions had to work a second job (7 days a week can kill you) and Walmart was a good place for me. I was working in fabrics/crafts and I love sewing, so it was up my alley. I did work hard to take good care of my customers. Despite the fact the majority of the country thinks everyone in a blue vest is an idiot, believe me we are not. Many of the older "retired" folks have to work to just pay for medical expenses. Yes there are many a Walmart employee who has trouble walking and chewing gum, and there will be those who really don't care (like any retail business), but for the most part I found my fellow blue vesters to be good caring workers........just my 2 cents.......

RitzyFritz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RitzyFritz Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 6:20pm
post #19 of 37

Not only ditto to momlittr's opinion, but at least Wal-Mart you will find they hire those with handicaps without reservation. Those folks could easily be standing on a street corner expecting hand-outs! I personally prefer not to shop at WM due to the busy-ness and I like to get in and out. However, it is a lot nicer to see the good rather than the bad in any situation...even when it isn't easy.

Thanks to all the WM employees who DO care and who DO provide good service. Sorry for the bad apples who have made some have a less than desirable experience and thus ruin people's opinions toward you in general.

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 6:29pm
post #20 of 37

We only shop at Walmart for one reason and that's to save money. It's not a premium grocery store/market by any means and my dh and I hate to visit the store. It's a mess, you can't depend on the store carrying your favorite products continually, and the place is usually packed. Whether packed or not it's usually filthy. I hate to moan about it too much though because it does save us a lot of money.

Walmart is weird about some things. Last night I was there and asked if they would let me have a box and the answer was no. They said they'd had a bad experience with customers fighting over boxes so now they don't give them out anymore. icon_confused.gif How sad.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 6:33pm
post #21 of 37

"The deepest craving of human nature is the need to be appreciated."
William James

C'mon, most everybody needs a job! So the customer service is something a little less to be desired....when you know your gonna need help, go elsewhere. I LOVE walking into Wal*mart and having the handicapped greeter yell at the top of his lungs to me "HI WELCOME TO WALMART!!!!!!" He makes me laugh and I love him for that.
(my 2 cents)
icon_wink.gif

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 7:16pm
post #22 of 37

I don't think any of us mean to lump all Wal-mart workers together..... it is just a generalization. There are good workers everywhere - they are just few and far between. There's far too many stupid people in the world (and they keep breeding.... icon_rolleyes.gificon_razz.gif ) I know some of the people work at Wal-mart b/c it's a second job or b/c they can't find work elsewhere and I try to be understanding - I just also choose not to shop there most of the time b/c I can't ever find anyone who will help me, the store is dirty, and I don't think it's right for Wal-mart to exploit people in other countries and pay them soooooooooo little. I understand we all want to save money - but I don't think it's right to make someone else work for 20 cents an hour so I can buy a pair of pants for $13 instead of $20....... that's just me. I think it's hard for everyone.

Okay so this is ending up long but anyway - I do "sampling" on the weekends and I refuse to work at Wal-mart b/c NO ONE there ever knows that I'm coming to do a promotion for THEIR store, they won't let us hand out coupons but we HAVe to hand out brochures - NO ONE WANTS THEM w/ out a coupon..... and anytime I ask if they have something in stock, or if there is someone who can help me look in the back - the workers all give me blank stares, start talking to each other but not accomplishing anything, or just walk away....... it's too frustrating. How can NO ONE know if a product is stocked somewhere or where to find extra stock of something? Okay I'm done icon_smile.gif

To all good Wal-mart employees, thank you.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 7:18pm
post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneyck

That's because marketing has made Wal-Mart seem like the "down home" USA business, with a smiling representative ready to great you at the door.

In reality, they are a cut throat business where 60% of their product is made overseas. They killed the small, local bakeries and those that are still out there have to make sacrifices to compete. Wal-mart is all about sacrificing convenience over quality and the more people that buy from them, the less competition they have. Think before you buy.

I miss that smiling representative............ these days, the old "people greeter", you know, the one who would hand you a cart, and if you had a baby in your arms, help you get all situated.............. well, that person is now quasi-security, and if you try to walk out of the store with a bag of charcoal briquets underneath all your Wal-Mart bags full of merchandise, they need to see your receipt because it isn't in a bag. Heaven forbid the cashier didn't cancel something, and that big voice goes off..... "We are sorry, you have activated Wal-Mart's safety alarm. Please return, and an associate will help you." I hate that thing..... icon_cry.gif

Man, do not get me started on Wal-Mart........ tapedshut.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 8:20pm
post #24 of 37

remember the First Amendment to the Constitution of the USA???

and over two centuries of Supreme Court decisions upholding it?

and the verdict was always the same...

although it may give offense to some, it is still protected speech.

(of course the PC police would have it otherwise)

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 8:25pm
post #25 of 37

Amen, Doug. Well put.

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 9:20pm
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

remember the First Amendment to the Constitution of the USA???

and over two centuries of Supreme Court decisions upholding it?

and the verdict was always the same...

although it may give offense to some, it is still protected speech.

(of course the PC police would have it otherwise)

All of the above can be done with respect and diginity....especially when referring to others.....

if you seem content with it....take it....Im done with it......but what comes around goes around.... good luck with that.

yukisaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yukisaru Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 9:31pm
post #27 of 37

I use to work for them too they fired me because I was too nice. They had to let me go and that was the best reason they could come up with.
(first job and summer was ending)

There are many bad things about the corporation but I will leave that to political debate and not give a long speech hear. It is normally a personal view.

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 7:44pm
post #28 of 37

I think it might be where you're from, no offense. Our walmart is very nice and the people are friendly. We have hardwood floors and clean bathrooms with a switch you flip if you think the bathrooms need to be cleaned. They hire older people to hand out carts, and say aloha & mahalo. A lot of times the people in the craft section don't have a lot of knowledge, but what can you expect from someone making $7 an hour. Alot of people around here have to work more than one job because the cost of living is so high, the people that work there are nice people trying to support their families. It's pretty rude to say that people that work at walmart are stupid. Free speech is a choice, you can say whatever you want, but you will be held accountable for the things you choose to say.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 8:02pm
post #29 of 37

If you want to see dumb employees and terrible customer service you need to come visit me and go to the local Alco. The service at Walmart is way better but we're 120 miles from one. They often have only one line open and when they get a phone call or someone comes in for a return they will quit checking you out and when you ask if they have something in the back they will just say no without looking for it.

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 2:50am
post #30 of 37

the only store i can say that i've never had any complaints about is the publix that i sometimes go to, but no 2 stores will be the same as the next & the MANAGER is the soul reason why any store is like it is.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%