Cheap Vacationers, I Need Help

Lounge By SarahJane Updated 12 Aug 2006 , 9:44pm by lastingmoments

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 12:31am
post #1 of 13

I am trying to plan my first family vacation. My husband and I never had a honeymoon and we now have two kids (ages 2 & 5) we want to take our first family vacation either late this year or early next year(the kids will then be 3&6). I'm a stay at home mom so we live on one income, and we live in Hawaii (which is very expensive to fly out of) We want to go to disneyland and we know there are some things you just can't cut corners on, but as I'm figuring out a budget, the food thing is totally throwing me off. If we're gone for 10 days and we budget $150 a day for food (the hotel has free breakfast) that still is only $18 per person for 2 meals a day. My daughter doesn't eat much so she should be under this, but my husband eats more than an everage person so it will be hard to keep him under this, especially with snacks, mickey shaped icecreams, drinks throughout the day, etc. Any tips on how to eat economically? At this price we will pay more for food than for our hotel. I really want to take my kids on this trip, any help would be appreciated.

12 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 12:52am
post #2 of 13

have you gone to the disneyworld site yet?

if not...go there and check out THIS year's options

I got an estimate of 5 nights/4 days in park WITH meal plan that includes 3 meals plus snacks and character breakfast and staying at a Disney property hotel for right at the $3,000 mark. staying at a "partner" hotel off -site would be less expensive.

when you go to book reservations, they have an option to add meal plan option...it looks to be within your targeted daily amount (if not even substantially less!).

BUT....

to book reservations for 2007, you have to call. You can't do it through the web. and I bet those reservations haven't even opened yet.

oh and ...never underestimate the abilities of a good travel agent to help you out

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 12:59am
post #3 of 13

When I was growing up and my family went on vacations, I always remember staying at a hotel/motel with a kitchenette(sp). So my mom would make as much of our food as possible. Also whenever we would go to amusement parks my mom would pack a picnic lunch. Most parks have picnic areas in the parking lot.

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 4:13am
post #4 of 13

disney world doesn't say alot about taking snacks & drinks in so we did that, having a small child it's easier b/c of the stroller, the theme park that i live close to will let you bring in sealed bottle water so i bought the new kool-aid & crystal light powders to put in them (cheaper than buying drinks) don't forget that staying in or close to the park you can go back to the room for lunch & a nap or eat out for lunch b/c it is cheaper & eat in for supper (order in pizza & have snack foods, etc)

good luck & have fun we had a blast at WDW for the past 2 decembers & i'm gonna miss icon_sad.gif not being able to go this year (DH said he wasn't going back to WDW until he got to go to the mtns icon_cry.gif ) if you have any questions i'll try to answer them but i've never been to Cally

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 4:21am
post #5 of 13

My sil went to Disney world this April and she said that for the plan that included the meals, was a really good deal. They ate like kings!!! They had a choice of a few restaurants, so they had lots of choices of foods to eat. And they didn't have to worry about the meal budget since it was already paid for!
hth

Lorris

SarahJane Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 7:24am
post #6 of 13

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. But my hopes and dreams of a vacation have been demolished. My husband says we need to wait another year, so maybe December 2007. So, I'm going to go be depressed for a few days. icon_smile.gif Thanks. SARAH

daltonam Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 2:22pm
post #7 of 13

oh sara i'm so sorry, the only good thing i can say is that the youngest child will remember it more (we took both of our kids after they turned 4 (1-2 months after) & our 11 yr old still remember his first trip--but still i'm sad for you icon_sad.gif

SarahJane Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 6:55pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks TARA

There are like 100 reasons why it's better to wait, I'm just so bummed. It's hard sometimes being on an island because you just want to go somewhere. But thanks for the encouragment, I know I'll get over it. My daughter is in her "terrible two's" right now, and my husband said "If we wait another year, maybe she'll be nice by then" It made me laugh. (She's nice, just difficult) Thanks .

lotsoftots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsoftots Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 12:36am
post #9 of 13

Funny, it never occurred to me that folks residing in Hawaii would require a vacation! Really? Ya sure about that? It just seems so surreal. But then again, I live in MI which is an icy tundra for half the year.

SarahJane Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 4:59am
post #10 of 13

You're funny! There are a lot of positives to living in Hawaii, but it's very small town here. The only mall on the whole island is a 2 1/2 hour drive and it's the smallest mall you've ever seen. If you want to go shopping, there is Walmart, Kmart, Ross, and Costco. There is no amusement parks, non of the fast food restaurants have play lands, no chuck-e-cheese, no carnivals/fairs, very few resturants that serve anything other than "local" food, no lakes to go fishing(for the kids), no zoos, etc. I love living here, I feel safe here, there are tons of nice people here, but I would like my kids to go on a carnival ride, have a fair corndog, see whales at seaworld, see the san diego zoo, go on the peter pan ride, I could go on and on. But I need to stop because I'm getting upset about Disneyland again.

daltonam Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 9:39pm
post #11 of 13

sarahjane, your DH is lost out there in parents crazy land b/c my kids are still in there terribly 2's icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif (11 & 5)

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 12:24am
post #12 of 13

SarahJane--
Wouldn't it be great if you could find someone to swap houses with--someone that lives close to Disney and would like to go to Hawaii? I know there are some websites that you can set up with. But then again, I don't know if I would want a stranger staying in my house.

We rent a condo for week when we go to Alabama...my DH keeps trying to talk me into buying one and letting the company rent it out. NAH...I'll just keep renting.

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 12 Aug 2006 , 9:44pm
post #13 of 13

icon_biggrin.gif
Ok i know it may be too late but......wow ....i think thats the best time to go ......my daughter was 2 the 1st time we went as a family to disney world-florida was closet for me atthe time as oppsed to the land...but this is how i figured......she was free....they start charging at the age of 3 so this could be one selling point to your hubby........

I always thought growing up that the big vacation was impossible you know if i would have asked my mom she would have said i was crazy .....but im cheap by nature and still want it all.....my daughter is 5 now and have taken her back 3 times each trip was 7-10 days at the parks alone and feel that if they is a will there is way.........

I have learned lots of tips along the way and once even left the week only spend $500.00 on food souvineers and snacks!!!! that is a family of 3 two adults and one child........

My advice to you is ........

1st prepay your park admission- you can buy online one at a time you can buy in blocks and customize your tickets to fit your needs.....you can even pay extra to have a no expiration day option added!

2nd stay cheap......no matter what the hotel is probably just to sleep......there is so much to see and do.....who cares if the place has a golf course and lots of extras.....just make sure its clean and safe.......start low and and work your way up depending on your budget.

3rd its not they dont say much out outside food and drink....they do have a policy of allowing out side food!! So feel free to bring plenty of bottle waters and snacks in a ziplock bags........dont worry about them being cold.....they offer complimentary cups of ice just ask!

4th every park have the a budget meal you just have to find it! sure some place in the park are crazy expensive but there will be at least one place that will offer a whole meal for the price of a value meal at mcdonalds.

5th have a good breakfast before you get to the park - freebies at hotels....value all you can eats like shoneys they are cheaper and carry you farther before you need to fill the tummy up again.

6th check souvineers places off site they are usually cheaper! i went to walmart in the middle of my trip once to get more bottle waters and found the same items as in the park for half off!

7th i found therre is always a reason not to go but priceless when you get back! dont let anyone tell you your daughter is too young of wont rember because I was suprised by how much she recalls from the 1st trip and in fact think she remebers more than me!

I just slowly gather tkts and stuff so when i propose to hubby he just cant say no!

BTW we live off one income too!
I know its hard but eaiser to tackle one step at a time!
NAncy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%