Mmf Vs. Fondant

Decorating By nathanikka Updated 30 Jun 2006 , 2:57pm by Misdawn

nathanikka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nathanikka Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 16

I love working with Fondant, but, a lot of people do not like it due to the taste, etc. from what I have been told. Can anyone tell me more about MMF, workability, taste, texture, etc in comparison to Fondant. Is it easy to make, does it go as far, is it easy to mold things out of. Does it look different then Fondant when rolled out and put on a cake?

15 replies
shrek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shrek Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 16

I think mmf is great. Its easy to make, tastes better and is way cheaper than regular fondant. Nobody I know likes the regular fondant but they do like the mmf. You can do just about the same as fondant with the mmf.

nathanikka Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 16

Is there a specific recipe that you have used? I have looked and see a few, they are not much different, but, there is a slight difference. Any suggestions would be great. I would love to try it out!

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 16

I use this recipe:

1 16 oz bag mini marshmallows
1 2# bag powdered sugar
2 T. water
1 t. flavoring (I use vanilla or butavan)

Spray nonstick spray in microwave safe bowl. Pour all marshmallows in bowl. Sprinkle water and flavoring over marshmallows. (If you are only doing one color, I would add coloring at this point.) Microwave at 15 second intervals until marshmallows slightly keep their form. Stir and add sugar slowly. It may not take all the sugar depending on the humidity at that time. Knead until nice and smooth.

TIP: sift your sugar - you will do less kneading later because this step will eliminate clumps of sugar that must be kneaded out of the fondant.

It's very easy and I personally wil never make regular fondant. ONLY MMF for me!!!!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 4:50pm
post #5 of 16

If you look at the mini cakes in my photos....there are 4 of them in the picture. The three colored ones are purchased fondant - the white one is MMF - you cannot tell a difference.

nathanikka Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 16

would you say there is a difference for you in working with the two? Do you think there is a HUGE difference in taste/texture?

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 4:55pm
post #7 of 16

MMF is definitely the way to go. The bow cake I made with fondant, and the frog cake I made with MMF. It tastes SOOOOO much better. As for workability, I enjoyed the MMF better. You can flavor it anyway you want, pop it in the microwave for a few seconds if it is too stiff to work with. It got much better reviews than the fondant.

Good luck.
Angie

nathanikka Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 5:06pm
post #8 of 16

Quadcrew, I love your mini cakes! They are adorable. What recipe do you follow to make the MMF?

Kazoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kazoot Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 5:15pm
post #9 of 16

I have never tried fondant, but I did see a couple posts here that say their KA mixers died after mixing MMF. Then, some people said that they did not use a mixing bowl, just did it on the counter. When I get the time to try MMF, this is how I am going to do it, cuz I love my KA!!!! lol..HTH

~~Donna

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 2:35am
post #10 of 16

Would you ude the mmf on a teired cake like a larger 4 layer wedding cake ???

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 2:40am
post #11 of 16

I just started making MMF (thanks to this site) and I love it!!! I have a hard time keeping it around because the family eats it out of the bag! It is nice that you can soften it up in the microwave for a few seconds. I had the hardest time with regular fondant and it tastes awful!!

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 2:41am
post #12 of 16

Kazoot, I'm with you, I love my KA, too. I am also anxious to try the MMF but I will mix it in a bowl.

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 2:49am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanikka

I love working with Fondant, but, a lot of people do not like it due to the taste, etc. from what I have been told. Can anyone tell me more about MMF, workability, taste, texture, etc in comparison to Fondant. Is it easy to make, does it go as far, is it easy to mold things out of. Does it look different then Fondant when rolled out and put on a cake?

I had always wondered why so many ppl in the USA hated fondant. I also realised that a lot of the decorators were starting out with Wilton classes and their first intro to fondant was Wilton. Then i tried Wilton fondant and the mistery was solved. I would say PLEASE give another fondant a try. Wilton should not be used as a comparison for fondant and MMF, because there are so many fondants out there in the market that taste nothing like WILTON. I found the wilton fondant to taste waxy, it was really disgusting, no wonder ppl don like it, it's horrible!!! Not all fondants taste like these, try one of these brands, Bakels, Fondx, Orchard, Cake Art. I have never tried SatinIce or Chocopan but have heard great things about them. Im still to find someone that likes Wilton, URGH!!!!

I use fondX all the time, it comes from California, i have heard ppl that dont like it because it's hard to work with, but liked the taste. I love working with it and the taste. Cannot say enough good stuff about it. I've never made MMF but honestly dont see why i would spend the time to do it, when the fondants available are so great. I rather spend my time making great cakes from scratch, after all that's the biggest part of it : )

Just my two cents, ok two dollars ; )
Nati

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 3:02am
post #14 of 16

I'm with Nati, there are great fondants out there! I love working with it, and go through quite a bit. I love the Satin Ice. I guess I just feel weird about covering a very expensive wedding cake with a covering made from marshmellows!

kae133 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kae133 Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 4:21am
post #15 of 16

I have never made MMF but will be taking the wilton course 3 in 2 weeks. If I made mmf, how do I store it and how long can it be stored for?

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 2:57pm
post #16 of 16

I have used MMF after it has been stored for two months! Just keep it on the counter in an airtight container. Ziplog bags work great. Just make sure the container is AIRTIGHT. That's the key. When you're ready to use, just pop it in the microwave for about 5 seconds per ounce.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%