Using Candy Melts...help! - Ideas Anyone?

Decorating By pump_jc Updated 29 Jun 2006 , 4:14pm by Kammissa

pump_jc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pump_jc Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 9

Okay - I'm planning on making a "J" out of candy melts to put on top of the cake I'm making for my cousin. I want it to be big and thick enough to stand up on top of the cake. Also, to get it to stand up, I assume I'll need to use a lollipop stick in the back of it or something to get it to stand. Any suggestions on how I can do this? I've never used the candy melts except in candy molds before...

8 replies
Reecie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reecie Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 9

I dont know how you could do it without a mold, but sugarcraft has individual letter molds that are 4 7/8 inches high.

Reecie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reecie Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 9

I forgot to mention that I think you have to order a minimum of 3 of the same letter. the are about $3 a piece.

HTH

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 9

You can make one on waxed or parchment paper; trace a letter printed from the computer, if you don't have time to buy the mold. Cut out the letter and place it on another sheet of wax/ parchment. The edges will probably be a bit rough. After it sets for about one minute (when it starts to lose its shine) pick up the letter and smooth out the edges with your finger. Place the paper letter on something flat and let it set in the fridge for aboiut 5 minutes, then let it harden some more on the counter. I haven't done this, but I've read about it. Plan on making a few for practice/breakage.

pbeckwith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeckwith Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 1:55pm
post #5 of 9

I did a monogram for the top of a cake last year. Printed and enlarged the letters from the computer - melted the candymelts in a squeeze bottle and traced the letters on waxed paper, traced them pretty heavy and made several in case they broke. When it was set I turned them over and attached the thin sticks. I wish I could post a pic, it was a beautiful cake. I've done it with both the chocolate candies and the white candy.

pump_jc Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 9

You don't think I could just put the melts into a bag, melt them, and then write a J on some parchment paper, and then put in the refrigerator? The way I have in my mind is different than the letter mold that they have. Ugh. I hope it will work for me to do it without a mold.

pump_jc Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 1:57pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks! That's what I was planning! icon_smile.gif I'll make plenty in case of breakage! icon_smile.gif [/i]

jeans541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeans541 Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 4:03pm
post #8 of 9

If you want to use the lollipop stick, I would pipe the letter out onto parchment (matte finish) or cellophane (shiny finish) and then set it in the fridge to harden (on something flat). When it's nice and set, place your support, like the lollipop stick, on the back and then pipe another layer of candymelts over that. Return to fridge. I made a large highschool logo out of candymelts and just piped a support "tab" on the bottom of the logo that stuck into the cake about 1 inch. Just pipe the tab and the bottom of the letter a bit thicker than the top and you shouldn't need anything else for support.

Kammissa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kammissa Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 4:14pm
post #9 of 9

you migth want to try it with Candy Clay, then you can get more demenchion and securing it might prove easer. Candy clay is apx 14 oz melts to 1/3 cup clear caryo.

just a thought.

tho with candy clay after you make it you need to refergerate it over night before working it, if you lay it out flat on a cookie sheet you could even punch out a letter with a cookie cutter

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%