Invoices For Customers?

Business By imartsy Updated 3 Jul 2006 , 1:58am by leta

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 11

How do you all invoice your customers? I am making a cake for my company and I will need to provide them with some sort of bill. I havent done this before b/c Ive only had one other paid cake and she just paid me in cash but this is for a company so.. I figured I would do the cost of supplies x 3 (they have no real budget is what theyve told me a dangerous thing to tell me as I could go all out but Im going to try to keep it reasonable). Anyway, just wondered if anyone out there had a form they use or any ideas on what I should do. Oh, did I mention I dont really have a business name just yet either. And Im baking out of my home (they know this) which is not licensed, but this is all of my 2nd paid for cake, so I wasnt going to try and find a licensed bakery to purchase just yet!

Thanks in advance for all your help and advice!

10 replies
mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 11

Attached you'll find my black invoice. I made it in word, it took a little time, but it was relatively easy to make. Also, don't worry about not having a company name...just use yours. Hopefully this helps some, if not, PM me with your e-mail address, and I can send you the word doc to help you out.
LL

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 8:36pm
post #3 of 11

mendhigurl, your invoice looks great! icon_wink.gif

I don't have an official invoice and since I'm not really legal to be a buisness I'm VERY careful about what I do. Occasionally my husband's company will ask me to do a cake and when they do they require an invoice, so I send them one via email and keep it simple. Usually just the basics of what they ordered and a price, the date it was ordered and delivered, the name of the person that ordered and my name and address for payment. I always add a thank you too! icon_wink.gif

I know this could still get me busted, but I'm not too worried about it. I make so few cakes for money anyway (probably 6 or 7 a year).

imartsy Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 3:28am
post #4 of 11

Do you all just put a price on it, or do you list ingredients or anything like that? I know this cake will be more expensive than the ones they would get at the grocery store - they told me there was NO budget however.... but I don't want them to think I'm crazy with what I charge. Like I said, I'm going to do ingredients/suppiles X 3 for my price.... I just didn't know if I should break it up into anything.... like "Buttercream decorations = $, Frosting Image = $$, etc.

cmmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmmom Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 3:37am
post #5 of 11

imartsy, I would try to figure it out BEFORE you make the cake and give them a price. Then there will be no surprises for the company. You won't have to worry about getting your money and you can get a down payment. HTH

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 11

I agree with cmmon. icon_wink.gif
As far as breaking down the price, I usually don't go into a lot of detail. I set a base price like let's say $30 for a half sheet, then add other charges individually for added work or supplies.
Usually my husband's company orders a 1/2 and 1/2 flavored cake.
I list $30 for the half sheet, then on the second line add $5 for half and half, then on third line delivery charge, which in this case is always listed as "free" since hubby just takes it to work with him, then fourth line a total.
I wouldn't go into a lot of detail. If they request a custom frosting that requires extra ingredients for example, just add $5 for custom frosting, or whatever you need to charge. icon_wink.gif

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 3:24pm
post #7 of 11

I use an order form for my customers. The form has everything on it such as the customers name, address, and phone #. Then it has a section that tells me what flavor they want, type of icing, colors, decorations, kits needed, etc.

I fill out the form myself and let them know the price based on the size of the cake and the design. If the customers want a copy of the order form I'll be more than happy to give it to them but none of them really ask for it. They only want a receipt upon payment. I have a receipt book that I purchased from Walmart.

mendhigurl, I love your invoice. It looks very professional.

imartsy Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 11

Agentcakebaker,

Do you have a copy of the order form you could send me so I could see it? Thanks.

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 3:52pm
post #9 of 11

I do have a copy that I can share but I don't have it with me at the moment. I'm at work but I can post a copy later tonight.

You can tell I'm not focused at work. I'm thinking about cakes instead of working. icon_biggrin.gif

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 6:31am
post #10 of 11

I just use a reciept book and put the size of the cake the date there name my name and amount charged. What was written on the cake.

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 1:58am
post #11 of 11

I agree with Agentcakebaker. If you need an invoice, you need an order form. I use the order form and give them a copy noting the amount paid and date, check # etc. It may not be as important in this case, but when people pay a lot for a cake they want to make sure they get what they paid for. This way they can know up front and won't think they are getting things they haven't pd for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%