Help Needed With Americolors

Decorating By darkchocolate Updated 29 Jun 2006 , 11:46am by darkchocolate

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 7

I am trying to make some Frozen Buttercream Icing, but I am having a hard time getting the colors I need. I am making a transfer for July 4th so I need/want red and navy blue. I have the Navy Blue and Super Red from Americolor but I am using more than I thought I would have to and I still haven't reached red or navy blue.

I know that the color darkens over time but how long is that? Has anyone else used these colors from Americolor?

darkchocolate

6 replies
Katydidz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katydidz Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 7

I've learned that when I want deep rich colors it's best to work in small quantities. Or if you start with pink icing it's easier to get it red. Try PMing colorboy and see if he has any special tips.

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 6:59pm
post #3 of 7

darkchocolate - I made some very red frosting a few weeks back. I started by using the electric pink and then added red. It didn't take much gel and it came out a really nice dark red.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 7

have you tried lettign the colored icing sit for a while? the colors really do deepen with time!

BritBB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BritBB Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 7

PM Colorboy, Americolor's rep here on CC.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 9:23pm
post #6 of 7

Definitely PM Colorboy. I had the same problem one time with red and he told me the ratio of color you need per cup of icing... I just can't find the post now =( He will definitely be able to help you though.

Leily

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 11:46am
post #7 of 7

Thank you for your replies, I really appreciate it. I continued to do some research on this site and came across the post about how much color to add to a # of icing. I must say I was surprised and wish I had ordered more Super Red. The navy blue still isn't a true color to me but I went ahead and used it with my FBCT. I also used a tip about working with Sky Blue and adding some Violet. That tip did bring the color to a truer navy blue.

The red has finally gotten to where I am satisfied, but I am not happy with the navy blue although it will be okay. I love the red in this link.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=favpics&cat=0&pos=-128

I am not happy with my first FBCT either. I am thinking about either cutting out my pattern and tracing it, then filling it in. I will continue to practice on the FBCT. While I was trying to achieve red I dismissed the thought of making my nephew a Spiderman cake, but now that I have some extra red icing left I am going to go ahead and make it. I am considering using the FBC transfer I am not happy with and just enhancing it with more icing on top of that. Maybe just use my star tip. I am continuing to learn lessons as I decorate and that is how we learn in life.

darkchocolate

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%