If You Hate Buttercream... Please Help

Decorating By parismom Updated 29 Jun 2006 , 1:48pm by leta

parismom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
parismom Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 12

I am going to be making my daughter her birthday cakes pretty soon and since I became pregnant with baby #2, I can't stand buttercream or fondant - even the smells get me sick. What other type of frosting would you guys recommend that will still taste good and will hold shape for decorating?

Thanks!

11 replies
Katydidz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katydidz Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 12

Congrats on baby #2. Unfortunately I have no help for you. Maybe marzipan, or some sort of ganache.

parismom Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 12

I am also opposed to marzipan and also ganache. I've never tried italian meringue bc... is it the same as regular buttercream? Taste and texture wise?

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 12

whipped cream icing, or even cream cheese icing, always sound good to me, but then again every time I was preganant, there was nothing that made me sick - 5 kids and still working off the weight after 18 years!!! icon_cry.gif

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 6:44pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by parismom

I am going to be making my daughter her birthday cakes pretty soon and since I became pregnant with baby #2, I can't stand buttercream or fondant - even the smells get me sick. What other type of frosting would you guys recommend that will still taste good and will hold shape for decorating?

Thanks!

wow, that's tough.... Maybe go to the supermarket and buy their whipped cream icing .....

parismom Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 12

I think it's just the homemade BC... but the ones in the canister I can still tolerate, like duncan hines etc. It's weird. Does that hold shape well for borders etc?

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 12

How 'bout a cute whimsical topsy-turvy stack of saltines? icon_lol.gificon_confused.gif

kos

sorry-congrats on soon-to-be baby #2.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 12:38am
post #8 of 12

i would say whipped cream.

The canned icing won't hold a boarder. But i know wilton makes a whipped topping that is quite good and holds its shape.

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 7:58am
post #9 of 12

What about the wilton stuff they sell. It's suppose to be made to hold up for decorations and stuff.

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 8:20am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by parismom

I am also opposed to marzipan and also ganache. I've never tried italian meringue bc... is it the same as regular buttercream? Taste and texture wise?

IMBC isn't much like wilton-style buttercream. It is made with whipped egg whites and Sugar syrup, then lots of butter. It won't crust and it tastes awesome. No pwdr sugar, no shortening. I recommend it. Swiss meringue buttercream is similar and may be a bit easier to make.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 8:48am
post #11 of 12

Leta you do beautiful work. I am south of Kansas City. Where are you?

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 1:48pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks, CarolAnn. Your cakes are beautiful also. I can see a style carried out through your cakes. really pretty stuff.

I live in Lenexa. Also in the KC area.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%