Which Pans Do I Need To Buy For The Wilton Courses?

Decorating By malika Updated 29 Jun 2006 , 7:13pm by cakesbykitty

malika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malika Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 10

I'm taking the Wilton courses in a couple of weeks, but I want to be prepared for the classes. I have coupons I want to use and I was wondering which pans should I get: the 8x2, 8x3, 9x2, or 9x3?

9 replies
vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 10

Did you get the Course 1 kit yet? I think it has
everything in it.

pump_jc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pump_jc Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 10

The first course kit does not come with pans. It doesn't matter what pans you have. You're going to make and ice a basic cake and do basic decorations on it. Most people generally use round cakes for the Course I class.

lcottington Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcottington Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 10

You don't need anything for the first class - you bring a pen and paper.

The second class you need an 8" cake or a 10" cake depending on the design you choose - if you don't bake a lot I would suggest the 2" deep pans - they are easier to deal with.

The third class you can either bring in an 8" cake or twinkies to decorate.

The fourth and final class you need either an 8" cake or a 10" cake depending on the design you choose.

In my class there are people that have only baked one layer cakes to decorate, cupcakes to decorate, or done high two layer cakes -- it really is up to you.

I have been using my class cakes to practice new recipes and to try to get my cakes higher -- so have been baking 2" layers and torting with different fillings but that is just me.

Have a great time!

Lisanne

malika Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 10

I spoke with the instructor and she said a 3" cake, either 8" or 9". She said I could buy them at the bakery at Albertson's without any frosting. I'm gonna bake them instead.

kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 10

If you plan on taking all three courses I would recommend buying a 10", 6" round and a 10" square (at least 2" deep). In Course 1 I have my students bring a 8" or 10" cake to lessons 2, 3 & 4.
In Course 2 you get two oval pans in your kit, you usually only need one cake in Course 2 for lesson 4.
In Course 3 you will make two cakes. One square (10") and one tiered cake. The tiered cake is made with a 10" and 6" round cakes.
So for the 3 course you really only need to buy 3 pans. You can use the 10" round for Course 1 and 3.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 9:49pm
post #7 of 10

I am going to say it all depends on your instructor.

We had some people in our first class that didn't have a need/want for a lot of cake so they made 6" double layer cakes. Our teacher was more worried about the techniques than the sizes. So everyone scaled their techniques to the size of cake they did.

Then in the second class we had the pans in our kits

For the third class we had to bring a square cake one class (we had a 12", 8", 8" and a 6" between everyone) Our teacher wanted us to learn the technique of placing fondant on a square cake, so she wasn't worried about size. Then for our final wedding cake we again could choose different sizes... I ended up using different shapes also. Then on our final cake we could use any techniques we had learned throughout the 3 courses... We were required to have fondant roses that we learned how to make in course three on them though.

I suggest speaking with you teacher on what is expected.

Leily

malika Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 5:53pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks for the info everyone. I can't wait to get started.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 7:07pm
post #9 of 10

If you have a coupon and the money, why not buy the round pan set? It comes with 6, 8, 10 and 12 in rounds. You can use the 8 and 10in rounds in course one. I always tell my students make as big or as little of a cake as your finaly will eat or you can give away. I would go 8in or bigger as that gives you more practice room.

If you get that pan set you will also use the 6in and 10in rounds in Course 3.

A 10in square is another one of my favorites, it gives you a nice surface to decorate. In C3L2 they book tells you a 8in square, but I give my students the option of using the 10in.

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 7:13pm
post #10 of 10

wow! this was helpful for me too. i took course one last month and bought the 8" (3 inch deep) and have course 2 next month and it came with the oval pans. i have wondered what else i needed to get too! the coupons come out only so often and i hate to not use them (in alaska the only place to really get pans is joanns and michaels and when they put out a coupon you WANT to use it!). I will be looking for more pans now too. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%