Ribbon Use On Cake

Decorating By smashcakes Updated 28 Jun 2006 , 10:01pm by ntertayneme

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 6

i've read to put wax paper between your ribbon and the cake so grease doesn't soak through. for those of you who've done it, do you just cut the wax paper to the same with, do you attach the wax paper to the ribbon somehow? how does the ribbon stick to the wax paper? any help would be great. i have my second wedding cake coming up and they want ribbon around the bottom. thanks

5 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 6

I use ribbon all the time and just attach it to the side of the cake when crusted.Usually if it is going to absorb the greases the whole ribbon does so it doesn't look distorted.

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 6

thanks for the reply! do you attach the ribbon ahead of time, or is it something you do last minute?

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 6

I did a wedding cake this past weekend with a ribbon. When I put the ribbon on over the buttercream, it came through to the ribbon. So I just places another 2 layers of ribbon and it came out fine.

Sammy-2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sammy-2002 Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 10:00pm
post #5 of 6

I have put ribbons directly on the buttercream and have had the best luck if I let my icing get fully crusted, at least overnight. It will absorb less grease this way and it goes on much easier.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 10:01pm
post #6 of 6

I cut a strip of wax paper just a little bit smaller than the ribbon and use 2 side tape and tape it to the ribbon. Then I place that on the cake and there isn't any grease that soaks through.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%