Easy Way To Cover Board W/contact Paper?

Decorating By Falenn Updated 29 Jun 2006 , 10:55am by Chef_Mommy

Falenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Falenn Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 3:44am
post #1 of 11

i've tried this method for the first time 2 wks ago. and i ended up getting creases. i started from one side and w/the help of another person as well. and still get creases. any suggestions on covering boards w/contact paper w/o getting creases, or is it inevitable? ty

10 replies
Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 3:48am
post #2 of 11

What I do is have the contact paper just 2 inches ,or so, on each side. Cut the corners and then fold onto the board. hope I explain it right. When I cut the corners, I take out a little square off. so when I fold it, it's the same size as the board. Don't know if I'm clear enough, but don't be afraid to ask more questions if I'm not icon_redface.gif

Lorris

Falenn Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 4:10am
post #3 of 11

u mean for a square or sheet cake,right? im having problems with lying the board down to the contact paper and not getting wrinkles when it sticks.
do u cut the corners (into squares) so when you fold them they wont overlap?

ty.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 1:23pm
post #4 of 11

I cut the contact paper to size i need it, then peal the paper off, and lay the board down in the center of the sticky paper. Then i flip the board over, with the sticky paper still hanging over slightly, I smooth out any bubbles, if you have a big bubble that you know is going to wrinkle, take a straight pin and poke it so you can work it out. then flip the board back over and work the edges to the back of the board.

Yes even doing it this way you will sometimes have wrinkles but with practice you will get less and less.

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 11

I cover mine just like peg818, but when I flip it over I start smoothing it out from the center to the sides. I have never gotten any creases...yet!

Good luck.

Falenn Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 2:24pm
post #6 of 11

thnx everyone. i'll try peeling the whole thing, centering then flipping it and work it so less creases.

thnx

bonnscakesAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnscakesAZ Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 4:43pm
post #7 of 11

i do it like peg too.

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 1:48am
post #8 of 11

How about for round boards?

Falenn Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 3:39am
post #9 of 11

so when covering a square or sheet board, should the corners be cut in a shape of a square? so it would be easier when folding the sides?

ty

karennayak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karennayak Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 10:20am
post #10 of 11

I peel off a bit from a corner and then smooth it over the board, using my palm just behind the peeled edge... Now that sounds confusing!

I'll try again.
I lay the board on the table, right side up. Cut contact paper to size, (extra for overlap). Lay contact paper on top of board. Peel a little backing paper off one corner. Using the pressure of your palm, (moving diagonally), smooth the sticky paper over the board, while pulling the backing paper with the other hand.
That is even more confusing!!!

I give up.

And yes, you need to cut the squares at the corners out for square and rectangular cakes.
For round , I cut the diameter of the paper one inch more than the dia of the board. That leaves a 1/2 inch extra on all sides. Then with a pair of scissors, make small slits at intervals, fold over and press firmly.

This works for odd shaped boards too.

I use the edge of a credit card to smooth out smaller wrinkles. Works well.
Karen

Chef_Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Mommy Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 10:55am
post #11 of 11

Karen (karennayak)

You did fine in explaining thats how I do mine. I measure out the piece I need then I peel the backing of the contact paper and start at one end smoothing as I peel the rest of the paper. Cut the corners off as described above and viola. I just made one last night for my 4th of July cake.

Jackie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%