What Do You Think Of My Gerber Daisy's??

Decorating By 29apr00 Updated 25 May 2007 , 1:31am by Suebee

29apr00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
29apr00 Posted 23 May 2007 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 16

Be honest, because i really have no idea what exactly a gerber daisy looks like. I'm just going off other pictures here. So if you think they look really horrible or like a sunflower or something, go ahead and tell me. icon_cry.gif

Also, do you think they would look better with a yellow center, instead of the black? What can i do to make them look better?
LL
LL

15 replies
CakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBaker Posted 23 May 2007 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 16

Looks good! Here are some photos for reference: http://images.google.com/images?um=1&tab=wi&hl=en&q=gerberas

RkRamirez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RkRamirez Posted 23 May 2007 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 16

I think they look beautiful. Maybe on the pink ones a yellow center would look better. You can always do trial and error with them. Just make a bunch with different colored centers and see which is better. Great job!!!

dazey1050 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dazey1050 Posted 23 May 2007 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 16

Hey, Jen!

Those are cute. Here are my only thoughts: maybe don't do the smaller petals at the center -- most of the gerbers I've had don't have layers that are so distinctly different in length or have another layer between the short and long to kind of bridge the gap if that makes any sense. Also, could you make the petals slightly thinner? It may just be the pics, but they seem a bit thick.

That said, you're light years ahead of anything I could do!

hcouso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hcouso Posted 23 May 2007 , 8:13pm
post #5 of 16

Hi! I think they look great! If you want to see real gerber daisies, I have a wedding cake with pink and white gerbers all over it. They are very pretty flowers. I think you can make the centers what ever color the flower is only a really dark version. The yellow ones you could probably make the centers brown. Good job on them.

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 23 May 2007 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 16

Looks good, I agree with dazey1050 to leave off the small layer. I just made a cake with Gerber Daisies this past weekend and had a few of the fake ones they used for decorations on hand to try and replicate. The photo is in my gallery...I just used the large cutter twice and layered.

Angellcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angellcakes Posted 23 May 2007 , 8:20pm
post #7 of 16

Those are great! What technique did you use? I have only tried BC daisies and mine are HORRIBLE! I love yours!

D77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
D77 Posted 23 May 2007 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 16

very nice!!!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

randipanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
randipanda Posted 23 May 2007 , 10:10pm
post #9 of 16

When I was trying to do Gerber daisies what I found interesting was the incredible amount of differences between all of the flowers called "Gerbers." Some, like the previous posters said, didn't have short petals, but many of them did. I made mine with short petals as well, but I tried to convince them to curt up, to make kind of a cup. Make sense? And depending on how edible you want these you can use some cornmeal and press that in the centers to make it look like pollen.

29apr00 Posted 23 May 2007 , 11:34pm
post #10 of 16

I made them thick because they seemed to hole the curl a bit better, and the cutter is crap at making a clean cut on thin fondant. you should have seen the 1st couple i made. thumbsdown.gif I had to use an exacto knife to try and cut around the cutter. icon_mad.gif

I've noticed that Gerber's must be one of those flowers where every one looks different. i've seen some with yellow centers, black centers, and centers the same color as the flower. and the little petal in the middle is another one that seems to be personal preference. I was trying to get it to cup the center ball, but it just seems to go flat when i add the ball. maybe i should let it dry a little bit and add the ball later?

randipanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
randipanda Posted 24 May 2007 , 1:33am
post #11 of 16

How did I get them to cup....uhhh. Goodness, I need to keep a cake decorating diary or something. I know I used a gumpaste/fondant mix, so it dried faster, and I think I just kept curling them back up how I wanted them to until they dried enough to stay that way. I understand about the problems with the cutters, I wish I could afford to get all the Really good stuff. Someday....anyways, you might want to try to prop your inner petals up with tissue, that might help them keep their curl. Good luck! And just enjoy playing-that is the best part about cake decorating, even when things go completely wrong, you at least had fun doing it!

Randi

mum1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mum1205 Posted 24 May 2007 , 1:46am
post #12 of 16

Here is a link that I found very informative... They actually cut the inner petals in half, creating a different look.

http://cakescanada.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3719

MissLady85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLady85 Posted 24 May 2007 , 1:52am
post #13 of 16

I think they look good... and the black centers look fine! thumbs_up.gif

flavacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flavacakes Posted 24 May 2007 , 2:54am
post #14 of 16

I think they look excellent! Where do you get cutters for flowers?

29apr00 Posted 25 May 2007 , 1:15am
post #15 of 16

I made some more tonight and te center is more cupped, definately looks a lot better. I also got some pearl dust to spray on them. I got yellow, but i'm not sure if i should use another color.

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 25 May 2007 , 1:31am
post #16 of 16

They look really nice, great job.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%