Baby Shower Cake Idea?

Decorating By birdgirl Updated 30 May 2007 , 12:48pm by Sunspotalli

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 23 May 2007 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 9

I try to make baby booties for the parents who are expecting in our area--they are usually crocheted sometimes knit. I had a thought last night about using them for a decoration on a baby shower cake. Does that sound stupid? I would use a small cake seperator plate and cover it in fabric or wrapping paper and place the booties on that then put the whole thing on the cake. I have a baby shower cake for June and thought it would be a neat idea--getting a little gift besides the cake. Thanks for any input.
LL

8 replies
Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 23 May 2007 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 9

I think that would be a great idea. I mean there are many cakes in the gallery with gumpaste booties. So why not knit?! Here are a couple examples I found in the galleries that used gumpaste booties but you could use your's instead. Do a search under booties and you'll get about 7 pages of images. I just picked two from the first page I thought were really cute.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_330703.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_10092.html

HTH

Judi

Jonesie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jonesie Posted 25 May 2007 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 9

I put booties on the top of a cake once. Since they weren't edible (and I gave them to the mom-to-be) I put a small foil wrapped cake board under them. They didn't get messy and they seemed emphasized by the foil underneath them. I would post a pic, but everytime I try to upload, my files are too big.

Your booties are really cute, by the way.

Debcent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debcent Posted 25 May 2007 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 9

Love your booties-I would love to have the pattern. I also like to knit and crochet. Pleasse pm me. icon_smile.gif

pish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pish Posted 25 May 2007 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 9

I love that idea! Would you mind if I "borrowed" it? I have a baby shower coming up and I think this is a very clever idea.

Trish

Cake-Happy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Happy Posted 28 May 2007 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 9

I love that idea! I would also like the instructions for crocheting those particular booties if you don't mind sending me a PM too. I'm making a baby blanket right now, and that would be perfect to make matching booties on top of the cake that I have to make in Sept.

lepaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepaz Posted 28 May 2007 , 11:37pm
post #7 of 9

That's a good idea, what if you added little footprints around the booties on the base of the cake???

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 29 May 2007 , 1:32pm
post #8 of 9

pish-I don't have a problem with you using the idea. I have been busy making booties since everyone around is having babies and thought that they would be cute to put on a cake and then the mom to be would have a little gift. I will put them on a small cake seperator plate to keep them clean covered in fabric or paper.

Sunspotalli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunspotalli Posted 30 May 2007 , 12:48pm
post #9 of 9

I don't know how to knit but the idea is fabulous.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%