Is This Gingerbread Still Good?

Decorating By praetorian2000 Updated 24 May 2007 , 8:03am by redpanda

praetorian2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
praetorian2000 Posted 23 May 2007 , 9:45am
post #1 of 4

I made a gingerbread cake for a co-worker. She has plans on serving it to her clients at the end of the month for a birthday celebration. I put the cake in the freezer at the beginning of April before I went on vacation. I came back to work a month later. The cake was in the refrigerator. I very rarely use the refrigerator. I noticed that the cake is still in the refrigerator. Now I know that if the cake had remained in the freezer, it would be ok. But is it safe to eat after being properly refrigerated for about a month? She wants to use it next week? If it's not good, I need to know right away so I can make another one for her.
And since I get paid for the cakes, I don't mind making another one. I lose nothing.

3 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 23 May 2007 , 11:58am
post #2 of 4

I don't know but I think it might need to be remade...hope someone that knows for sure will answer soon.

praetorian2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
praetorian2000 Posted 24 May 2007 , 7:36am
post #3 of 4

Does anyone know for sure?
At this point I don't know what to do and we're running out of time, especially because of the holiday.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 24 May 2007 , 8:03am
post #4 of 4

It sounds like the cake has been in the refrigerator for between three weeks and a month and a half. (There is really no way to know whether it had just been put in the fridge when you saw it there in early May, or if it was moved in early April, after you left.)

If there is no mold on the outside of the cake, it is probably safe to serve. However...

If the fridge at your work is anything like the fridge at mine, there is a good chance that people have put "fragrant" leftovers (garlic chicken, anyone?) in the fridge, and often leave them for a couple of days. Even if the gingerbread was safe to eat, I would expect that it would have a serious case of fridge taste.

Also, I would worry about the texture after all this time. My suggestion is to rebake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%