Only Buttercream

Decorating By bertie Updated 23 May 2007 , 3:54pm by HollyPJ

bertie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bertie Posted 23 May 2007 , 3:59am
post #1 of 14

I was just wondering how many decoraters use only buttercream icing to do cakes for their customers.With buttercream a person can come up with so many designs.I love the designs in the older wilton cake books.

13 replies
ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 23 May 2007 , 4:05am
post #2 of 14

I've done a few fondant accents but I much prefer buttercream. I don't sell cakes, just make them for friends and family but you really can do a lot with buttercream. And I like the taste a whole lot more. I don't like the idea of making cakes that have to be "disassembled" before serving when you use a lot of gumpaste, etc . . . I would rather make a cake in which all of the decorations are edible and delicious! But having said that, there are a lot of cool things you can do with molding, etc . . . that you just can't do with buttercream.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 23 May 2007 , 4:09am
post #3 of 14

I use both thumbs_up.gif

Joolz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joolz Posted 23 May 2007 , 4:17am
post #4 of 14

I use all buttercream most of the time unless someone requests that the cake be covered in fondant. There is a whole lot of ideas you can come up with and I use cakecentral as my inspiration of course. I use the Buttercream Dream recipe. I have not tried to make BC roses yet.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:31pm
post #5 of 14

I only use buttercream as well .. one time I tried fondant and my whole entire family told me never to use that stuff again!

megal80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megal80 Posted 23 May 2007 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 14

Buttercream is my favorite, but I do enjoy learning more and more about fondant and I have been pleased with it, when I have used it! Most of my family likes the whipped icing though, and until I get a sprayer, it is not very versatile.

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 23 May 2007 , 3:34pm
post #7 of 14

I use both!

cfao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfao Posted 23 May 2007 , 3:37pm
post #8 of 14

I only use buttercream. I did a couple of cakes with fondant & they looked great, but I didn't enjoy working with it. Buttercream definately wins for taste. I want my bride's to come back after the honeymoon and rave about how great the cake looked AND tasted.

MandyE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyE Posted 23 May 2007 , 3:41pm
post #9 of 14

I only use fondant for accents. That way if it tastes yucky, they can just pick it off. icon_biggrin.gif

HollyPJ Posted 23 May 2007 , 3:41pm
post #10 of 14

I use as much buttercream under my fondant as I would if I were just icing the cake in buttercream alone. So, the taste isn't an issue. There are some designs that look best in fondant, so it's nice to have the option.

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 23 May 2007 , 3:42pm
post #11 of 14

All buttercream, but I will use fondant for accents as well.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 23 May 2007 , 3:48pm
post #12 of 14

I use only buttercream because mainly my customers hate fondant and are scared to try MMF lol. I'm scared to use it because I don't want to mess up or anything. I like using buttercream because it's easier to deal with and easier to fix a mistake lol. And it seems to be more traditional. I don't like change and I don't like new fangled ways of doing stuff lol. Fondant wasn't around when I was a child and if it was I never knew anything about it lol. I was born and raised on canned icing until about a year and a half ago when I started making my own BC lol.... anyway I guess it's whatever works for ya icon_wink.gif

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 23 May 2007 , 3:49pm
post #13 of 14

I love buttercream but I use fondant for the decorations because I can make ahead and save for when I need them.

I was taught not to waste food when growing up and it irks me to see people pull off the fondant so they can eat the cake.

LOL cakerator 1/2 my family likes it the other 1/2 hate it and my 5 year old grandson let me know that if I expected him to eat any cake it better not have any of that "pukey ol' fonant" on it!!

HollyPJ Posted 23 May 2007 , 3:54pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGoodies

And it seems to be more traditional. I don't like change and I don't like new fangled ways of doing stuff lol. Fondant wasn't around when I was a child and if it was I never knew anything about it lol. I was born and raised on canned icing until about a year and a half ago when I started making my own BC lol.... anyway I guess it's whatever works for ya icon_wink.gif

And yet it's the opposite in England, so I understand! They've been covering cakes in fondant for ages, and it's buttercream that's "new fangled." lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%