What Is Lemon Zest?help Finding

Decorating By gregus28 Updated 23 May 2007 , 7:35am by Iloveweddings

gregus28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gregus28 Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:04am
post #1 of 7

i have a recipe that calls for lemon zest, where can i find this ingredient?

6 replies
Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:13am
post #2 of 7

Wow. the first post where i've been able to be of help. Lemon zest is from the rind of the lemon. There is a very small grater you use for it. You know a cheese grater? Well, for zest it is one even smaller. You only do the outside of the lemon rind. You do not grate too deep into the lemon rind. I am attaching a pic of one. They do not all look exactly like it but will give you an idea of what I'm talking about.
LL

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:13am
post #3 of 7

on a lemon!

it's the yellow "skin"

you remove it with:

a very fine grater or micro plane
or
a vegetable peeler
or
a lemon zester.

(i use grater or peeler)

with any of them -- only want the yellow, not the white rind (bitter!)

and w/ peeler will get long strips you can leave long or chop into little pieces.

SQcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SQcakes Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:15am
post #4 of 7

Lemon zest is the yellow part of the lemon peel. You can buy a grater with very fine holes (called a "zester") to grate off just the colored part. Be sure not to get any of the while part because it is bitter.

Orange zest can also be used in recipes. The zest adds a lot of flavor to recipes or drinks like lemonade or iced tea, too.

Hope this helps!

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:19am
post #5 of 7

You can also buy this in the spice section of the grocery store McCormick sells it if you don't feel like doing it yourself just use a little more (its about $5.00 for a bottle)

Val

Jorre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jorre Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:26am
post #6 of 7

You can also scrape it off using a serrated knife.

Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 23 May 2007 , 7:35am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQcakes

Lemon zest is the yellow part of the lemon peel. You can buy a grater with very fine holes (called a "zester") to grate off just the colored part. Be sure not to get any of the while part because it is bitter.

Orange zest can also be used in recipes. The zest adds a lot of flavor to recipes or drinks like lemonade or iced tea, too.

Hope this helps!

I posted a pic of the zester.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%