Monograms- On Cake Top, How Do I ??

Decorating By donnajf Updated 27 Jun 2006 , 2:03pm by donnajf

donnajf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnajf Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 12:33am
post #1 of 6

What are the instructions for intials as a cake topper? Also, can I paint / color them and if so how is that done?

This wedding cake due this weekend icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

thanxs a bunch thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

5 replies
mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 4:55am
post #2 of 6

Monograms go like this... Brides first initial/Last Name/Grooms first initial.

You can make them out of royal icing, chocolate or fondant. They can be painted with luster dust, or kept as is. If you're doing any of these, you would print out the font you want to use and trace it with your medium of choice (r.i or chocolate) and fill it in. You want to go over the same outline atleast 3-4 times so that the dam is to the right height. That way the letter has strength and can stand up. For the fondant, you can put the letter on top and cut it out. All the mediums then dry or set up and can paint them if you desire.

Hopefully the couple gave you some idea of what they're looking for. Is there a picture they saw that you're trying to reproduce? That may help in giving you more accurate directions.

You can also buy silver monograms ( I think wilton makes them) at your local craft store.

Hope that helped a little. If not, it gave you a bump so someone else can jump in. Good luck!

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 4:58am
post #3 of 6

Yes, Wilton just cake out with the monograms! But did you notice that they don't have ALL of the letters? What's up with that?

Shoni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shoni Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 5:03am
post #4 of 6

There is a recipe on this website for Royal icing letters, and I have made them for my first wedding cake topper and they came out perfect! Look under recipes. It's really simple to do and you can color the royal icing whatever color you need for the topper.

Shoni

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 5:21am
post #5 of 6

I've also seen a few people on this site make a monogram with wire and beads. You can buy any color bead you want, but be sure to check that the center hole is big enough to accomodate the wire. Here's one that is in the gallery, done by nova, to show you what I'm talking about.
LL

donnajf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnajf Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 6

Thanx for the feedback!

have a sweet day icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%