How Do You Ice A Cake?

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 24 May 2007 , 12:15pm by moralna

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 22 May 2007 , 8:12pm
post #1 of 24

I was watching Alton Brown the other nite (love him!!) when he had an episode of cake decorating. The lady in the bakery iced the top then the sides. I always do the sides then the top. Then I got to thinking, maybe I've been doing it the wrong way all this time... I never took a formal class.

How do YOU ice a cake? Top first or sides first?

23 replies
DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 22 May 2007 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 24

I put a huge splat on top, smooth that out, then ice the sides. I've tried it with the extra large basket-weave looking thing (I'm having cranial flatulence and can't recall the name of it!), and that works as well, but doesn't get it as thick as I like. icon_razz.gif

But then, I took my first lesson when I was 12, so I've been doing it 'the wilton way' for many, many (many) years. icon_smile.gif

scoobam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobam Posted 22 May 2007 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 24

I put the icing on sides first, then top.. but when I do my final smoothing I do the top first. LOL don't know why... just the habit I fell into I guess.

reese04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reese04 Posted 22 May 2007 , 8:19pm
post #4 of 24

I always do the top first, so the excess icing falls to the sides.

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 22 May 2007 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 24

Top then sides for me...big blob on the top, smooth, then whatever runneth over goes on the sides and then some!

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 22 May 2007 , 8:23pm
post #6 of 24

I use the big icer tip ice all sides then smooth sides then top may be I have been doing it wrong too

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 May 2007 , 8:29pm
post #7 of 24

I've always heard do the top first, but I do the sides. Then the top.

I always have side-icing extending up past the top of the cake. I can then take my hot-knife spatula and push it from the sides to the top of the cake, creating nice, clean, sharp edges.

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 22 May 2007 , 8:29pm
post #8 of 24

I've always iced top then sides

selahmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
selahmycat Posted 22 May 2007 , 8:42pm
post #9 of 24

I say whatever works best for you is the correct way!

suzmazza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzmazza Posted 22 May 2007 , 8:45pm
post #10 of 24

I normally ice the top with a giant glob of icing and then work on the sides, but if I decide to use my large icing tip, I do the sides first and the top last to get super sharp edges. It really depends on how much time I have to finish. I also think its always easier to take icing off then to add on at the end.

MeganElizabeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeganElizabeth Posted 22 May 2007 , 8:48pm
post #11 of 24

I always start with the top then move to the sides. I always do a crumb coat. I don't think there is a wrong way to do it. Everyone is different.

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 22 May 2007 , 8:51pm
post #12 of 24

I used to use the Wilton large icing tip, but for some reason it never came out as smooth as I wanted it. I recently took the Toba Garrett Cake Decorating 1 class and am now doing it the way she instructed us and it is great -- you use the #18 or #21 star tip and cover the sides with icing using the up and down zig-zag motion going over the top slightly; then you do the same zig zag motion across the top. Then you ice the sides first and then for the top you start with the side of the cake and move your spatula lightly across the top of the cake. I have been icing that way since she taught us and it is great, my cakes now come out so much smoother. I love this method!!

Sunspotalli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunspotalli Posted 22 May 2007 , 10:25pm
post #13 of 24

I've always done the top first and then the sides and I agree the crumb coat first is a must. I agree with other posters though I really think it's what's best for you.

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 22 May 2007 , 10:46pm
post #14 of 24

Moralna, I am going to try icing my cake like that the next time. I love Toba and have a couple of her books. Thanks for the tip.

sunflowerfreak

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 22 May 2007 , 11:12pm
post #15 of 24

I think I may try that Toba Garrett way...sounds interesting! But...selahmycat is right, Whaterver works best for you is the correct way!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 May 2007 , 11:30pm
post #16 of 24

Put a ton on the top and smooth out from the top onto the sides.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 22 May 2007 , 11:41pm
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I always have side-icing extending up past the top of the cake. I can then take my hot-knife spatula and push it from the sides to the top of the cake, creating nice, clean, sharp edges.

Same here, this way works for me the best. but there is no wrong or right way, as long as you get a good result that you like.

jenndga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenndga Posted 23 May 2007 , 3:59am
post #18 of 24

I have been icing most of my cakes upside down (from tutorial here)... I just LOVE this method... very smooth top and sides and there is no weird little bulge at the top where they meet, just a nice sharp edge!

moralna Posted 23 May 2007 , 12:44pm
post #19 of 24

I have to say I always had trouble icing my cake smoothly but since I have been using Toba's method, it is now so much simpler - I love it! Note - I do still crumb coat.

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 23 May 2007 , 1:04pm
post #20 of 24

I do my sides first, then the top. Been doing this for 35 years. Don't think I could change now!

Zombiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zombiecakes Posted 23 May 2007 , 9:37pm
post #21 of 24

Thank you to moralna for sharing the Toba Garrett method of icing! I've been getting quite discouraged with how messy my icing ends up looking. I just tried using the Wilton #21 tip with Buttercream Dream and got my smoothest cake ever without a lot of fuss. So much better for me than anything else I've tried.

pookster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Posted 24 May 2007 , 6:23am
post #22 of 24

i think whatever is comfy for ya.....i ice top first then sides..worked in a bakery for years, that's how i was taught....and i figure as long as the end result looks great..then do it however ya like!!

Sunny77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunny77 Posted 24 May 2007 , 8:20am
post #23 of 24

I do the top and then the sides. Maybe next time I'll try the sides and then the top just to mix things up a bit and see which works best for me.

moralna Posted 24 May 2007 , 12:15pm
post #24 of 24

thegirly - i am glad the method worked for you! For me, it was a lifesaver because I was always having a difficult time getting my icing smooth and would get very frustrated and discouraged. Since using the Toba method, it has been "smooth" sailing since.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%