Cakes Make My Feet Sore...

Decorating By rachmakescakes Updated 6 Aug 2006 , 12:48pm by mabailey

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 9:53pm
post #31 of 53

I picked up a pair of Traps (Croc wannabe) at Sears for $13. They are the most comfy things I've ever worn! I would love to wear them to wait tables but I don't know if my boss will let me! I got a pair of Croc knock-offs at Wal-mart for my daughter but they were not near as comfy as the Traps. I will look for a white pair and take them to work and see if I can get away with wearing them! I have plantar facilitis and I can go all day in my Traps no problem! Yep, they're ugly but when I'm in the kitchen all day, I just don't care!!

bransmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bransmom Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 10:07pm
post #32 of 53

I bought a pair of Crocs $45.00 (last year and they are so huge, I gave them to my sister (her feet are bigger than mine). This year I bught Airwalkd ($15 from Payless) love them, oh did I say love them. I am an office manager at work and sometimes have to work out in the warehouse, on my feet for 8 hours a day on concrete and my feet don't hurt at all. I even have Pink & Yellow tie dyed. My kids hae Crocs and hate them, but love their Airwalks. I would definately suggest getting a pair. Don't spend that much money on Birkies or Crocs. Just my opinion

bransmom Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 10:09pm
post #33 of 53

Sorry, can't spell today, that is Airwalks.

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 10:12pm
post #34 of 53

I've got a couple pairs of Halfinger clogs that I always wear while baking and standing in the kitchen for extended periods of time.

They're not exactly frosting proof, but they're just for the kitchen so I don't worry about it too much.

getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 10:21pm
post #35 of 53

I have crocs for baking and standing in the kitchen. My 5 1/2 yr. has crocs and wears them everywhere. I love them because you can wash them off - icing from me and dirt from my daughter. lol icon_biggrin.gif

atkin600 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atkin600 Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 10:23pm
post #36 of 53

I have the Crocs flip-flops and I have worn them almost everyday this summer. They are AWESOME!

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 10:43pm
post #37 of 53

I have the sister to Crocs called HoleySoles. They are a bit more narrow than the Crocs but are just as fantastic. I bought them at a local store for $30. Go for the real deals-no generics! Your feet, legs and back will thank you!

blessingsandblossoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessingsandblossoms Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 10:43pm
post #38 of 53

I bought crocs at a Hallmark, believe it or not. Love them. I've seen recently where they are snapping flowers, etc. in the holes to make them cuter. (I think made of the same material.)

#2, I got a padded mat at Target, I think. Like what someone said earlier, but without holes and with a cute pic on it. Hard to keep clean, but easy to scoot.

#3, If you can do some decorating on your rear try placing your feet up on a stack of books or something, sole down. This might help your back.

#4, (can you tell I have a lot of feet problems too) My podiatrist said to wear cross-trainers b/c they are stiffer.

#5, he also told me this exercise to get the blood flowing in your feet and help them feel better.
Lay on your back on your bed and raise your feet up the wall, muscles against it. Do this for 15 seconds. Then quickly sit on the edge of the bed and put them over the edge. Head rush, right? Do this several times and it should help your veins work harder at getting blood there along with relief. Should feel better tomorrow, too.

#6, try walking in a pool

Hope all this helps.
Blessings!

bransmom Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 10:59pm
post #39 of 53

My boss and I have a women's shop in Florida and we sell the Holey Soles. I haven't tried them yet but I may have to get him to bring me a pair back when he comes in.

Dodibug: Are they true sizes or do they run big or small?

dodibug Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 11:23pm
post #40 of 53

bransmom-I normally wear a size 9 (attack of big foot!!) but I had to get the size 10-11. The 9 was a hair too small and the 10-11 is just a hair big but Iwear the strap on my heel and with socks and they fit fine now that I'm used to them.
Where is your shop at?

bransmom Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 11:35pm
post #41 of 53

Dodibug: It is in Venice

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 11:38pm
post #42 of 53

I wish I made enough cakes to comment but I don't know what it feels like quite yet. However, when I am making cakes I have a bar stool that I sit on when decorating. This way I'm relaxing my legs and not standing from start to finish.

dodibug Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 11:41pm
post #43 of 53

Ok, Venice! I grew up near Tampa but too far to go for shoes! Unless I get to take a vacation down that way icon_wink.gif ! So pretty down there!

bransmom Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 11:56pm
post #44 of 53

It is beautiful down there. Me and my son went in May, to set up the store and we had a blast. He said he wanted to live there but he is plays drums in the marching band at the high school and my step-son plays baseball and football for the high school and besides my ex wouldn't go for it. It is beautiful there. My boss is trying to get me to go back, he said flights were like $49, but I can't, football and marching season has started. I don't know where I will fit cakes in....LOL

mom_of2boyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom_of2boyz Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 10:20am
post #45 of 53

I "almost" wish it were my feet. I just started practicing decorating this week. I made two cakes, and a batch of ice-cream cone cupcakes between tuesday and thursday.

Yesterday my lower back was a little stiff when I got up, but didn't think too much of it. By the time I got home from work yesterday, it was REALLY bothering me. I was racking my brain trying to figure out what happened. Then it hit me, from standing and leaning to decorate the cakes .

This morning as I am typing this, I have a pillow propped behind me as I can not sit comfortably, and when I get up I can barely move. Ought to be a great day at work!
I hope this is just a one time thing, because I really want to keep doing this.

atkin600 Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 1:11pm
post #46 of 53

It was my upper back that bothered me when I was doing cakes consistently. And, no, it didn't get better.

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 1:37pm
post #47 of 53

I got up this morning and everything was sore from decorating yesterday. Well, I'll be back at it again today because I have 2 more cakes to go. Gotta go make the fondant icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 2:41pm
post #48 of 53

Crocs and Cobbie Cuddlers are the way to go!

morg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morg Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 8:23pm
post #49 of 53

When I decided to change careers and do this for a living the first thing I invested in (besides a business location) was a pneumatic ergonomic stool with adjustable lumbar and adjustable foot rest. I plop in it often as a preventative because if these tootsies start hurting I am bed bound.

I have plantar faciitus (feet) and I separated my sacriliac (lower lumbar) years ago, so I act accordingly.

The pneumatic part is so handy. The seat of the chair is shaped so as not to cut off circulation. That foot rest I padded myself to my own specs, lol.

As to shoes..I have to wear something that will hold my shoe implants.

All these shoes yall refer to: are they open backed or closed? if they are closed I may just buy a pair and see how they work with the implants?

icon_wink.gif

ttatummm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttatummm Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 10:06pm
post #50 of 53

Crocs are great, they have really saved my feet. All our waitresses and kitchen staff wear them. There is no more complaining about sore feet at the end of the day. In addition they are easy to clean and the fact that they are antibacterial means no stinky shoes. My sister tried Nothingz but did not like them as much.

atkin600 Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 6:03am
post #51 of 53

Crocs are not exactly closed back. They have a strap on the back. I have a friend who went to buy some, and another lady there was shopping for some because she said her podiatrist recommended them.

dodibug Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 12:27pm
post #52 of 53

Like atkin said they have a strap on the back but you can push the strap to the front if you need more room. I wear mine to the back because mine fit better that way and dh wears his to the front so his fit better that way!

mabailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mabailey Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 12:48pm
post #53 of 53

I haven't read all of the replies, so if this is a duplicate, I am very sorry.
I used to work at a very busy bakery (especially during the holidays). I noticed that everyone had 2 back-up pairs of shoes to change into during the day and when it got real bad they would put one leg up on a bucket, turned upside down. It was one of those 5 gallon type buckets that most bakeries have. I think you can even buy them at most Home Depot stores. I did this from the beginning and had no problems. The shoes I used were walking shoes, Birkenstocks and another shoe that has somewhat of a wedge to it. The purpose was to change the position of your foot every couple of hours. Hope this helps. >^.,.^<

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%