Need Ideas For Xray Tech Grad Cake

Decorating By Cheneya Updated 24 May 2007 , 4:47pm by Cheneya

Cheneya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheneya Posted 22 May 2007 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 8

I am in desperate need of ideas for an xray technician graduation cake. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

7 replies
crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 22 May 2007 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 8

how about a cake that looks like an xray, with a dark background and a white skeleton, and the skeleton could be doing thumb's up

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 22 May 2007 , 10:02pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalina1977

how about a cake that looks like an xray, with a dark background and a white skeleton, and the skeleton could be doing thumb's up

while wearing a grad cap/tassel and holding a diploma.

rockii Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockii Posted 22 May 2007 , 10:03pm
post #4 of 8

duff just made a ct scan machine maybe you could check his site out and get some ideas from there.

icantcook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icantcook Posted 22 May 2007 , 10:48pm
post #5 of 8

I found a site I found one day with I think 3 radiology cakes. I don't know how or where to post the site, as there is one cake involving a medical procedure and a naked fanny, so I don't want to post the link here and offend anyone if they click it by accident. PM me if you want it. Anyway, one is an x-ray of a hand. That would be easier than the whoie body, and you could give a high five to the new tech. If the new tech has a good sick sense of humor (you kinda have to to work in this field!) and the cake would be around adults only, they would love the fanny cake. I am a Registered Radiographer (aka x-ray tech) and when I showed that one to the co-workers, we were ROTLLOAO!
Duff did one (maybe the same episode as the CT machine) of a casted lower leg. It was sculpted, and the cast was strips of fondant. The foot and toes were made of modeling chocolate. Then they signed the cast with RI or food coloring markers - I don't remember. It was really cute. For other options, the cassettes we shoot the images onto are just flat plates and come in different sizes 14x17, 11x14, 10x10, etc. and would be easy to reproduce. The patient's (grad's) name and date are usually in the upper left hand corner. OOOH OOH and, (someone stop me!) we have to put a marker on every film we shoot as to R or L side, and the tech's initials. Mine has a big R and then a smaller DH. It is our "artist signature" and proof we did it. It is not used in CT or MRI, just x-ray. If you include those on the hand x-ray, that would make it really authentic looking.
Some silly radiology sayings: a)I can see right through you b)x-ray techs know all the positions (we had to memorize a bunch of them to get certain views of joints) c) x-ray techs do it best in the dark d) my, that is a lovely glow you have.
I'm so excited someone gets to do a radiology cake - I'm jealous! Make sure you post the pic!

fraggle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fraggle Posted 23 May 2007 , 3:21am
post #6 of 8

Saw this one a while back and thought it was adorable.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=496233

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 24 May 2007 , 2:00am
post #7 of 8

Just went to that x-ray photo - it's great.

Cheneya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheneya Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:47pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all of the great ideas! I must of missed the CT scan cake by Duff......he always comes up with the best ideas. I forgot to mention that the cake needs to be able to travel. Its being driven 2 hours away, by the customer, to the grad party. So, what I came up with is an x-ray illuminator box with 2 x-rays hanging on it, made from a half sheet cake. One x-ray of a hand and the other wil say "Congrats...blah, blah". I have attached my initial sketch, you'll have to excuse my scribbles/notes. Please let me know what you think! I made the hand x-ray last night. Black fondant with the hand bones painted in white luster dust.....it turned out great. I will post the pic when I get it finished.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%