Gum Paste

Decorating By Ivana Updated 22 May 2005 , 6:25am by veejaytx

Ivana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivana Posted 22 May 2005 , 4:04am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone , I have a question gum about gum paste flowers . I need to know how to paint it with petal dust and luster dust , but I do not know to use it and by the way what's the difference between petal dust and luster dust , do I have to use same water to dissolve it . Any suggestions would be very appreciated.[/b]

5 replies
Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 22 May 2005 , 4:12am
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivana

Hi everyone , I have a question gum about gum paste flowers . I need to know how to paint it with petal dust and luster dust , but I do not know to use it and by the way what's the difference between petal dust and luster dust , do I have to use same water to dissolve it . Any suggestions would be very appreciated.[/b]

You dip your paint brush in to some vodka.. Pour a bit of the dust on to a paper plate and then kinda wipe off extra vodka on to a towel and then dip in to the dust and then paint that way...

YOU want to use vodka in place of water it drys faster... Or a clear alcohol

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 22 May 2005 , 4:17am
post #3 of 6

Sugarcraft has some great help files on dusts and how to use them. If you're going to be painting the dusts on, I think it's better to mix them with something that evaporates more quickly than water like clear vanilla, almond extract, pga...You can also dry brush the dusts on.

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/coloring/dusts.htm#HELP

Petal dust is used to achieve deeper hues with a matte finish. When brushed on petals of white or pastel gum paste flowers, a realistic effect is created. Pearl or Luster Dusts can be applied over or mixed with Petal Dust for a variety of effects. Mix with water, alcohol, or oil based flavorings for painting, highlighting or creative deeper colors.

Luster dust gives subtle color with a high sheen metallic like finish. They may be used alone or mixed with similar colored matte dusts to create a lustrous sheen without lightening the color. Brushed on white, they exhibit color and a metallic like sheen.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 22 May 2005 , 4:23am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladycake

You dip your paint brush in to some vodka.. Pour a bit of the dust on to a paper plate and then kinda wipe off extra vodka on to a towel and then dip in to the dust and then paint that way...
YOU want to use vodka in place of water it drys faster... Or a clear alcohol

Great tip Ladycake! That is way better than using up lots of dust trying to make some sort of paint that may dry up on you if you don't work fast enough.

Ivana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivana Posted 22 May 2005 , 4:55am
post #5 of 6

Thanks for your ideas'ladies . I'm sure it will be a big help , never would have thought of that . and again a big thank you.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 22 May 2005 , 6:25am
post #6 of 6

When I was mixing my luster dust with alcohol, I just used a cola bottle cap, just so I wouldn't mix so much it would dry out too quick. If it does begin to dry out some you only have to add a little more alcohol or whatever liquid you are using. veejay

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%