Buttercream Dream Question

Decorating By madicakes Updated 27 Jun 2006 , 7:46pm by yukisaru

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 24

First of all, I used this recipe on my daughter's practice birthday cake. WOW! This tastes sooooo good. I love it!!!

Anyway, I wanted to ask how this holds up in the heat. It seemed like it wouldn't do very well and I want to find out beforehand. Her birthday is in August and it's going to most likely be an outdoor party. Don't want the frosting melting all over the place.

Thanks bunches guys. And thanks to all who pointed me towards this recipe, it was excellent!

23 replies
AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 12:50am
post #2 of 24

Hi hcromwell

I actually submitted the buttercream dream recipe. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I came about the recipe through trial and error.

Anyway, this icing recipe is just like any other. It will melt in the heat but if you can place the cake in a shaded area (near a fan if possible) where it can keep cool then it should be fine. I wouldn't leave it directly in the sun or heat b/c the icing will melt just as most buttercream icing.

This weekend I had my them keep my cake in the house until it was time to cut it. Hope this helps!

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 24

Thank you so much for the tips! Also, that is a wonderful, wonderful recipe and thanks for sharing it with all of us. I had some left over and just can't seem to keep my fingers out of it icon_smile.gif

AgentCakeBaker Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 24

Thanks for trying it. I also get a taste of the icing when I'm done decorating the cake. I can't help it, it is soooo good. icon_biggrin.gif

Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 24

Agentcakebaker, I personally want to thank you for this recipe. I tried recipe after recipe and they were just too sweet or had too much crisco. When I tried this one I was like WOW this is it! I'm so glad you submitted it thumbs_up.gif

ConnieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieB Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 24

The buttercream Dream icing recipe is the first one I tried when I first starting decorating and I loved it. I have tried other recipes but I always end up going back to "The Dream"!

Thanks AgentCakeBaker for such a wonderful icing! Do you have any flaver variations to it that you may have come apon? usaribbon.gif

Connie

AgentCakeBaker Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 8:11pm
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dordee

Agentcakebaker, I personally want to thank you for this recipe. I tried recipe after recipe and they were just too sweet or had too much crisco. When I tried this one I was like WOW this is it! I'm so glad you submitted it thumbs_up.gif

You're welcome Dordee. I too tasted many recipes but there was always something missing. I'm glad you like it. Thanks for your wonderful comments.

AgentCakeBaker Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 8:15pm
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieB

The buttercream Dream icing recipe is the first one I tried when I first starting decorating and I loved it. I have tried other recipes but I always end up going back to "The Dream"!

Thanks AgentCakeBaker for such a wonderful icing! Do you have any flaver variations to it that you may have come apon? usaribbon.gif

Connie

I'm glad you like it ConnieB. I feel so good that I could provide a great icing recipe even thought I stumbled across it by trial and error.

I've added many different flavors to this recipe. I usually buy a lot of Lorann Oils. I usually put a capful of oil in the icing depending on what flavor cake I bake. For instance I would use lemon Lorann oil and lemon extract in the icing if I was baking a lemon cake. So I try many different flavors. You should try to add different flavors too. I've also added orange extract and creme bouquet. It is very tasty.

Good luck!

missyjo30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyjo30 Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 8:16pm
post #9 of 24

I am another buttercream dream user!!! I spent so much time & money trying to find the "perfect" buttercream (i'm very particular), and this is it!!!!! I always get compliments on the frosting, thank's to you!!!!

Again thanks!!

AgentCakeBaker Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 8:18pm
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyjo30

I am another buttercream dream user!!! I spent so much time & money trying to find the "perfect" buttercream (i'm very particular), and this is it!!!!! I always get compliments on the frosting, thank's to you!!!!

Again thanks!!

You're welcome...glad to be of assistance here at cakecentral.

koolchica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolchica Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 8:20pm
post #11 of 24

I also love this one. I'll be using it next month for my daughters birthday cake. I tried lots of different ones before I found this one and I'm done looking. Still have some in my fridge that I keep tasting.
Tracie

ConnieB Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 8:27pm
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Quote:

Still have some in my fridge that I keep tasting.

I know, Everytime I make a batch and I have some left over I find myself in the fridge with a spoon, it's like an addition, I tell everybody I'm addicted to frosting! usaribbon.gif

Connie

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 9:03pm
post #13 of 24

Buttercream Dream is the best icon_biggrin.gif Thanks Agent Cake Baker!!

AgentCakeBaker Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 12:09am
post #14 of 24

It was my pleasure guys!

lcdmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcdmarie Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 12:52pm
post #15 of 24

sounds good
I have to try it
I am guessing it is in the recipe section (I hope)

thanks icon_wink.gif

rlm5150 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlm5150 Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 1:01pm
post #16 of 24

I'm going to have to try it also, based on the reviews.
TAB

ConnieB Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 1:04pm
post #17 of 24

Yes, the recipe is on cake central, and is definately worth a try, I think y'all with love it as we all do! usaribbon.gif

Connie

yukisaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yukisaru Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 1:16pm
post #18 of 24

Buttercream Dream is my fav. I have only tried one other before. I would like to add though if you add 8oz whipped cream cheese and half a cup white chocolate chips melted in 1/4 cup of cream it is sooooo good, I am going to try adding strawberry extract to that next icon_razz.gif I like the complex icon_twisted.gif I do think the white chocolate adds a bit of smoothness to the iceing. But thank you I really love it.

ConnieB Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 1:28pm
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Quote:

I would like to add though if you add 8oz whipped cream cheese and half a cup white chocolate chips melted in 1/4 cup of cream it is sooooo good, I am going to try adding strawberry extract to that next

If you add these different ingredients to "The Dream" will it still crust? usaribbon.gif

Connie

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 1:33pm
post #20 of 24

I haven't tried this yet but I am intrigued. Because of the milk, this would have to be refrigerated, right? Is it a crusting buttercream or a soft one? Can you pipe with it?

yukisaru Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 1:57pm
post #21 of 24

It crusted I might have added less cream than I said but I just felt my way with that part. I was able to write with it and it seemed thick enough to decorate with. In fact when it was cold it was solid. I did keep it refrigerated at all times.

ConnieB Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 2:16pm
post #22 of 24

When I make Buttercream Dream I use Water instead of milk, then it does not have to be refrigerated. I keep it in the fridgerater anyway, but it just makes me feel better not having milk in it while the cake is sitting out.

Just my 2 cents! usaribbon.gif

Connie

brendan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brendan Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 4:29pm
post #23 of 24

Would this icing work well for a wedding cake? I have an order for July / the cake will be in A/C. It also will have several roses. Just wondering if it would hold up. icon_smile.gif

yukisaru Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 7:46pm
post #24 of 24

I think it should do fine but I am no expert. The recipe I mentioned I did notice that it was harder to make smooth although I am just starting out so it may be me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%