Realty Sign Cookie-Is It Possible To Cut Out 2 Colors Of Rbc

Baking By Phyllis52 Updated 27 May 2007 , 8:07pm by MichelleM77

Phyllis52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyllis52 Posted 22 May 2007 , 11:38am
post #1 of 11

I'm not sure if my question makes sense, but here it is:
I'm making Realty Sign cookies for a friend and usually use RBC or fondant on my cookies.

But the wood is brown and the sign is white - anyone ever do something like this? Is it too much trouble to try to cut out the sign part after I cut out the entire cookie shape on the fondant or should I just forget about the fondant and use RI?

I hope I didn't confuse everyone. I confused myself.
Thanks. Phyllis

10 replies
darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 22 May 2007 , 11:40am
post #2 of 11

lol I was born confused so your post makes sense to me lol I think it would be faster to cut out both with the fondant than piping however I do believe you can do it either way.

Phyllis52 Posted 22 May 2007 , 1:03pm
post #3 of 11

darcat,

Should I use the entire cookie cutter with the brown fondant (for the wood) and then cut off the part for the sign? You think that makes sense? Geez, I hope I'm explaining myself all right.

Thanks.

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 22 May 2007 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 11

You could do it one of two ways. You could
1) inlay - Cut out the entire cookie of brown, cut out the center where the sign is, cut the white for the sign, and place it in the "frame". This can be a bit tricky, but do-able.

2) overlay - cut out the entire cookie of brown, cut out the white sign. place the white sign on the brown.

HTH - Good luck!

cakesonoccasion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesonoccasion Posted 22 May 2007 , 1:23pm
post #5 of 11

If I were you I would cut the whole thing in white- and then pipe the brown on top with RI. Cutting 2 seperate RBC would be hard in this situation...but it could be done!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 22 May 2007 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 11

Use the same cutter. Cut out one from brown and one from white. Cut the brown sign post off and stick it on your cookie. Cut the white sign off and stick it on your cookie. Re-roll RBC scraps and start again. It won't be hard at all. Just grab a knife and you're off! Actually, when I did this, I just the flat edge of the cookie cutter to cut and didn't use a knife. Depends on your cutter I guess.

Phyllis52 Posted 22 May 2007 , 2:08pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you everyone!!

I was thinking along all those lines, I just wasn't sure to even try. I'm going to try all of the ways and let you guys know how I made out.

It's amazing how much support you can get from cc. Lots of things I would have never tried, I give it a shot because of all the encouragement.

Thanks again.

Phyllis52 Posted 26 May 2007 , 1:43pm
post #8 of 11

Yikes!! Well I tried using fondant for the realty sign. The only problem is the cookie is too darn big!!! To get the fondant off my parchment to put on the cookie, it's near impossible!! It's cracking and getting all out of shape!

I've tried just the posts and the sign seperately and then the whole sign. No good. It's so uneven.

In fact, the sign is so big that when I try to transfer it to the parchment on the sheet, it goes all out of whack. So I finally figured I'd do each cookie on it's own little square of parchment and then on the sheet. That way works great.

I should have never let my realtor friends see my trial realty sign cookies.............. Sigh icon_cry.gif

Phyllis

MichelleM77 Posted 26 May 2007 , 1:50pm
post #9 of 11

I have to dust my waxed paper with cornstarch or powdered sugar while making my cut-outs or they will stick. If I'm doing a bunch beforehand, then I place them all on their little piece of waxed paper, stack them up, and place them in a baggie. Even in a baggie, they tend to harden slightly, which makes them perfect for putting on the cookie. It is difficult to place a warm piece of fondant on a cookie without a little messing up. Having the fondant sit for a minute or two works the best for me.

If you can see through your parchment (never used it, maybe you can't), try flipping the parchment with the fondant piece stuck to it, onto the cookie and then peel off the parchment. I've done this with good results. It also helps to keep your body heat from warming up the fondant enough that it is too soft and will start to droop.

Phyllis52 Posted 27 May 2007 , 3:45pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks MichelleM77 -
I'm going to try that way.
Unfortunately, I use Pettinice and of course ran out and can't get any more until next week (my local cake supply is on vacation).
I don't have time to make RBC, so it's RI for this batch.

But I definitely try it your way. Do you use RBC by any chance?

MichelleM77 Posted 27 May 2007 , 8:07pm
post #11 of 11

No, only Satin Ice. The one time I made RBC, it was very greasy no matter what I did to it. Jealous of you guys that can make it come out so nice! Would save me an hour's long trip to the cake supply store and back. *sigh*

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%