Walk Me Through Your Kitchen!

Lounge By berryblondeboys Updated 27 May 2007 , 12:55pm by Chefperl

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 22 May 2007 , 11:14am
post #1 of 10

Dh thinks I have way, way too much for cooking, but I beg to differ. I think what I have is pretty normal for someone who actually COOKS! So, I want you all to walk me through your kitchens. Plus, tell me know how long you've had a kitchen of your own (to see how long it's taken you to accumulate stuff.) Count kitchen stuff you have stored in other places too - like closets, basement and china cabinet. I'll start to show you what I mean!

I've been married for 13 years and use most everything I have with the exception of my china and stuff in the china cabinet.

Kitchen Cabinets:

Single size bottom:

1 has pans on the top, baking pans on the bottom
1 has all my cooking pots and collander
1 has paper products - napkins, paper towels, and wraps - saran, aluminum, wax paper, etc, paper plates, bowls, etc.

Double size bottom:

1 has all my kitchen appliances not on the counter - food processor, stand mixer, ice tea pot, fondue set, coffee maker, coffee grinder, griddle, blender, waffle/sandwich/pizzelle maker, scale, juicer, chopper

1 has all my storage containers and baby cups,plates, and those water bottles for camps, etc and on the bottom, my big roaster, cake boards and bigger cake supplies.

Upper cabinets Single 42 inches tall:

Cabinet one: top two shelves are pyrex and stoneware baking dishes, bottom two shelves are pasta, rice and cooking oils, salts, vinegars, etc.

Cabinet two (only 18 wide): top shelf extra cat food, second shelf is loose leaf tea containers from tea store, third shelf is canned goods, bottom shelf, bread and chips.

Upper cabinets Double 42 inches tall:

Cabinet one: Top shelf - soup tourine, large platter, second shelf large bowls, serving platters, third shelf, plates, bowls, small plates, saucers. Bottom shelf: glasses

Cabinet two: top shelf - baking supplies - sprinkles, chocolates, Second shelf: more baking supplies - Third shelf - cooking supplies, jams, peanut butter. Bottom shelf - cereal, snacks.

36" tall single cabinet:

top shelf - cake plate and cake tin, Middle shelf - mostly empty, some odd and end coffee mugs, bottom shelf - coffee mugs

30" tall single cabinet:

Cabinet one: mixing bowls, salad spinner, bread pans, large baking dish, glass measuring cups

Cabinet two: mostly empty (above fridge) but has extra flour and baking supplies)

Drawers:

one drawer is baking tools
one drawer is silverware
one drawer is knives and cutting tools
one drawer is cooking spoons and spatulas
one drawer is tea
one drawer is a spice bonanza

corner cabinet:

shelves - decorations and candy melts in containers, and my cookbooks,on top in baskets are cookie cutters, food colors and tips and bags. In the base has my turn table and junk I can't store elsewhere! LOL

China cabinet in dining room-

wine glasses, champagne glasses, sherry glasses, vases, serving dishes FANCY and few odds and ends china and crystal from MIL, base has my tableclothes, flower vases and my china (12 place settings - 7 pieces each) and good silverware.

On the counters:

Microwave, toaster oven, large cannister set (holds entire bag of flour and sugar), banana holder, towel holder, dish drainer and napkin holder.

I don't have a pantry and I don't store anything else anywhere else. Though I think I will have to store the newly acquired cake projector elsewhere!

Phew... anyone else up for labeling what they have? My kitchen, btw, is 10x10 and cabinets got to the ceiling - no soffets.

Melissa

9 replies
darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 22 May 2007 , 11:33am
post #2 of 10

Well I've been married or on my own for over 30 yrs now lol and your kitchen sounds pretty much like mine. HOwever I recently downsized and had to get rid of a lot of stuff that I used rarely. example soup tourine, teapot collection, party platters etc. But I refused to part with some others like tiered platters, fancy plates and things that I just love. I did get rid of a lot of small appliances like waffle maker, sandwich maker. I have only one child (daughter) and she is now on her own so really didnt need all that stuff. I have one large box in a cupboard with all my cake decorating things so I just have to haul out one box and I'm all set. Now that I've gotten rid of alot of the party things I cant say that I really miss them because I only used them about 2 or 3 times a year.

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 23 May 2007 , 8:44am
post #3 of 10

Melissa, God forbid you have a fire in your kitchen, but if you do, this will be helpful for the insurance claim!!

Sorry, that was my first thought on seeing your list!! Thought that I ought to add that I have severe problems organising myself, and can't actually move in my kitchen in order to inventory what I do have.. wish I could. Although I could give you a tour around the tall cupboard that holds my cake baking and decorating equipment, the only area in our home that is in order... sort of!

heather2780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather2780 Posted 23 May 2007 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 10

I wont go into where everything is in the kitchen but I have taken over both hall closets and the pantry with my cake stuff. the norm you know pans mixers tool boxes full of tips and colorers silicone mats all the normal stuff. my counters I try to keep cleaned off I think only my toaster, microwave and sugar flour coffee containers sit on there. I do have 3 junk draws that hold all of my paper products and food storage needs plus whatever else the family deciedes they dont know where else to put it. I have the griddles and the waffle makers and the coffee and espresso makers and the sandwich presses and the george forman grill and the food proccsor and chopper and milkshake and snow cone and slurpee makers(cant tell I have kids at all huh?) A bread maker and then draws for all my cutlery I use cutco so its sacred in my house. I think thats it at least all i can remember. sadly I never use most of it I find my blender makes all the slurpes and milkshakes and things and id rather shred my own cheese than clean the big procsser and yet I find myslef wanting more kitchen stuff. sad I know. and for refrence I have had my own kitchen for 7 years.

BritBB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BritBB Posted 25 May 2007 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 10

When I filled my kitchen (even after having it renovated to make more space), my husband wouldn't let me put my cake stuff in 'his' garage (a man's garage is his castle), so he built me a shed in the back yard for all my stuff. I now have my cake stuff and a fridge for my cakes, and heaven help him if he tries to put his beers in my cake fridge!!!! icon_mad.gif

Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 26 May 2007 , 12:22am
post #6 of 10

My kitchen is full and over-flowing!!! LOL I do not spend money on clothes or other things.....baking is my only hobby! My husband has even tried to get me to buy clothes before.....but I'd rather have more kitchen "toys" icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 May 2007 , 1:04am
post #7 of 10

Ok, I need all the married ladies who have been married 20 years or more to back me up! And I'm betting there are some in the under-20-years category who can back me up, too!

Let's take an inventory of HIS stuff! Let's wander out to the garage and the storage shed. At one time,my hubby owned 7 different lawn sprinklers! But god forbid that we get rid of ONE of them! And he better not DARE make a comment about women and shoes .... not when I'm tripping over the 14 pair he owns! And he swears that each one has a unique and separate purpose (one for mowing the lawn, one for dress, one for work, one for comfy, one for scratching his butt, blah blah blah).

Unless he is the one doing the cooking, you just tell him to get the he** out of YOUR kitchen.

And each time you pull one of those appliances out, be sure you point out to him "Oh good thing we didn't get rid of THIS thing when you were whining about all the "junk" in MY kitchen!"

Jorre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jorre Posted 27 May 2007 , 5:27am
post #8 of 10

ROFL

I am soooo with you indydebi! Been married 10 1/2 years and he owns a whole lotta JUNK. And yup...a billion pairs of shoes. What gets me...they are all the SAME. New Balance tennies in various stages of wear...depending on the wear is what he uses them for. icon_confused.gif

He only has 3 sprinklers....but at least 100 screwdrivers and 50 extension cords. I won't even begin to count how many pairs of pants I just got rid of under great protest from him. No dear...you will NOT be wearing these pants...you lost fifty pounds and look ridiculous in them.

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 27 May 2007 , 12:23pm
post #9 of 10

OK, this had me laughing!!! SOOOOO true.... I use everything in my kitchen except for the things given to us by MIL (the crystal and china pieces) and the soup turrine rarely gets used, but EVERYTHING else gets used - even the fondue thing every year for New Year's (And that was DHs idea anyway! LOL) I guess that's why I know where everything is! I need it to be organized because I'm getting into it all the time and because I'm getting into it all the time, I know what is where!

Now, DH and his stuff... He has TWO full 5 foot tall cabinets full of Albums, One full bookcase full of CDs and a smallish thing full of cassette tapes. He also has 7 bookcases FULLLLLLL of his books. He listens to maybe one CD a week at home. I haven't seen him pull out an album in six months and the books? maybe one or two a week. Of coruse, we have to have the turntable and all the rest of that stuff too... Yet, somehow, I'M the one with too much stuff in the house! UGH! men!

Melissa

Chefperl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefperl Posted 27 May 2007 , 12:55pm
post #10 of 10

So I have way too much in my kitchen.
I keep Kosher so we have 2 sets of dishes and pots and pans etc. I have 2 sets of all my cake pans as well. Right now we live in an apt, hopefully moving in a few weeks. We bought our first hous but the kitchen only had 2 cabinets so we ripped it all out and built into the dining room but Dh is doing it all himslef after his full time plumbing job......
Oh did i mention I used to do Pampered chef, so I have 2 of everything of that also. My kitchen is packed in the cabinets. I am trying to downsize. Mu husband is building a small kitchen in the basement for my cakes and is putting in a huge closet for all the stuff I don't use everyday in my regular kitchen. Like the deep fryer or veggie steamer, electric skillet, HUGE serving peices etc....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%