Icing Issues

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 26 Jun 2006 , 3:18am by Birdlady

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 8

I give up! For the life of me, I can't make icing that does'nt have holes in it. I made IMBC icing for the second time, using Martha's recipe and following the step by step at cakescanada. Lots of air bubbles, even though I stirred and stirred by hand afterwards! When I make the crisco BC (always on stir w/ the paddle), same thing! Air bubbles! tapedshut.gif I just can't get smooth icing. My birthday cake is full of holey icing! ugh At least it's for me, but still. I'm about ready to give up.

7 replies
fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 8

I like Martha Stewart but her recipes are not always right on. Did you use a themometer? The temperature is very important. If you get Rose Levy Birenbaums Cake Bible or Dede Wilson and follow their recipes you can't go wrong. Read and reread the instructions.

pump_jc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pump_jc Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 8

In general, you get air bubbles from too much stirring, don't you? So maybe you are stirring too much.

greenhorn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greenhorn Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 8

The cakes in your gallery are beautiful! If you have holes, you cover them very well!

hamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamie Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 10:34pm
post #5 of 8

I had a lot of problem with air bubbles and holes until I tried sugarshack's bc. I have been able to modify her technique to all of my other bc.

The secret is to make sure the paddle is completly covered as the bc as it mixes. That way, no air gets into the bc as it mixes.

I have had to double my other recipe. It does tend to make a bigger mess since the bowl of the mixer is completly full, but it is worth it.

Good luck.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 3:12am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pump_jc

In general, you get air bubbles from too much stirring, don't you? So maybe you are stirring too much.

With some buttercreams, like Wilton's recipe, you can get air bubbles from mixing to fast or for too long. Generally when I make buttercream I mix it on low. And I mix it until it is well incorporated then maybe a minute or two more, that is it.

fmandds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmandds Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 3:16am
post #7 of 8

I feel your agony, beachcakes. I too have given up. I've even heard to make it a day or two before and let it settle but even that doesn't work for me.

Greenhorn, I think the bubbles don't show at all in photos but you can see them in person. But I do think her gallery is beautiful.

Birdlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Birdlady Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 3:18am
post #8 of 8

Hi All!

If you have air bubbles in your bc, you can add a little water and stir by hand. This usually gets them out.

It is my feeling, that if you beat for too long or too fast, this is where the bubbles come from. My general rule is to mix just until the sugar is incorproated, then stop immediately. You shouldn't get bubbles.

Good luck
Dawn

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%