Graduation Cake Ideas?

Decorating By nicoles0305 Updated 25 Jun 2006 , 9:32pm by nicoles0305

nicoles0305 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0305 Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 6

I'm doing a graduation cake in a week. I want to do a 3-D cake, but the only thing I can think of is a graduation cap. The problem is though, the cap is just too ordinary for me. (don't ask-I'm very picky, lol) The girl is graduating from an accounting program. Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

~Nicole

5 replies
pump_jc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pump_jc Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 6

Don't ask me how you'd do it, but you could always make one of those calculators, you know that have the roll of paper it prints out on as you add things up?!?!

nicoles0305 Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 6:02pm
post #3 of 6

Good idea! But I'd definitely need to figure out how to do it. Thanks for your help.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 6

will this help? --

should be longer front to back than side to side as like a 3x5 card shape scaled up.

bottom is just traditional stacked layers -- could take a 9x13 and cut in half for 9x6.5 and stack up.

top: ditto on stacked layers and then carved for slope.

cut a little narrow rectangular well in top most layer for paper to come out of.

for safety & security, treat like a stacked cake and put cakeboard supported by dowels between bottom rectangle layers and top carved layers.

can be BC frosted or fondant covered...metallic grey would be appropriate.

buttons -- extra thick -1/2 inch or so-- fondant cut out w/ a large opening round tip (pick one that creates size that "looks right") laid on cake. use edible ink pen to put numbers on. need 10 rows (0-9, bottom to top) and at least 5 to 6 columns (so thats 50--60 buttons)

tape: gumpaste or fondant rolled out and allowed to dry....i'd put it on soft and let it dry in place on cake.

handle: pretzel nuggets glued to piece of cardboard. for one that goes into cake, may want to use pretzel rod instead for extra support.

HTH
LL

eilers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eilers Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 6

Good Lord Doug ... that's positively inspired!! Hope you're around when I need some ideas!
ps good luck with cakes Nicoles0305!

nicoles0305 Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 9:32pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks Doug! Like everyone here says, you do come up with the best ideas! I'll post a photo when its done in about a week. Thanks everyone for all of your help!

~Nicole

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%