Yeah, My First Paid Cake!

Business By JenWhitlock Updated 24 May 2007 , 2:17pm by JenWhitlock

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 22 May 2007 , 3:02am
post #1 of 13

I'm so excited I just got paid for my first cake! I just had to share...
you know, I was determined to set my prices and have it together, but out of the blue a friend asked for a cake and I said oh just pay me for materials, he offered to pay more which was really nice.

anyway it was a lot of fun... icon_lol.gif
He wanted a copy of his wife's favorite book as a surprise for her birthday... I hope she likes it. icon_rolleyes.gif

I'd love any advice on what I should have charged for the cake
it was a small cake (only for them). two layers about 6x8 inches, chocolate with raseberry filling, all MMF decorations.
LL

12 replies
step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 22 May 2007 , 3:19am
post #2 of 13

Oh wow! How cool is this!! Very neat cake and design! What a nice gift from a husband!!

Even thought this cake is small I wouldn't charge under $40 for it! If those are gumpaste roses I would think that you could get at least $50 for this cake! You are very talented!

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 22 May 2007 , 12:11pm
post #3 of 13

Congratulations! I'm working on getting some clients and might a potential first client coming up soon! So I can completely understand the elation that you are feeling! I'm so happy for you! The cake does looks really great! Looks like you might have a repeat customer!!! icon_biggrin.gif

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 13

Fantastic cake! What an awesome reproduction!

Honestly, in SoCal, I think you could get $100 for that cake. But, just starting out and trying to gain clientelle you'd probably want to price it a little lower.

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 22 May 2007 , 7:11pm
post #5 of 13

i think that cake looks fantastic! just like the real book! did you paint the blue color on? is that how you got it to look so worn? or is it airbrushed?

oh, and i would esimate 15 servings from that cake, i think i would charge $35-40 for it.

shifty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shifty Posted 22 May 2007 , 11:11pm
post #6 of 13

Wonderful cake, you did a fantastic job. You must be so proud of yourself Congrats!!! thumbs_up.gif

JenWhitlock Posted 23 May 2007 , 12:17am
post #7 of 13

Thank you all so much!
I think that they liked it a lot.
my friend sent me a photo of the cake, and told me that his wife mistook the cake for her real book icon_lol.gif

I was thinking that I'd like to charge $25-30 for a small cake, but a bit more for a more complex cake like this. and it sounds like I'm pretty much on track.

beccakelly, yes, I did paint the color on. I wanted the exposed color underneath and I wanted the brush strokes to look like the fabirc covering.
LL

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 23 May 2007 , 1:22pm
post #8 of 13

I love the torn spine of the cake.

Steph2325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steph2325 Posted 23 May 2007 , 5:34pm
post #9 of 13

Wow! I am impressed. thumbs_up.gif Nice job. I don't think you'll have any problem getting business.

Steph

qtcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtcakes Posted 23 May 2007 , 10:20pm
post #10 of 13

awesome, looks just like the real book!!

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 23 May 2007 , 11:12pm
post #11 of 13

You did great job on replicating the worn spine of the book!!! Very realistic!

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 24 May 2007 , 12:18am
post #12 of 13

CONGRATS!! That first sale is always an especially great feeling! As mentioned by Steph2325, I don't think you'll have any problems generating interest/business! You're very talented, take a moment to pat yourself on the back for a job well done. thumbs_up.gif

JenWhitlock Posted 24 May 2007 , 2:17pm
post #13 of 13

Thank you again, everyone for your extremely kind words!
I would be lost with out CC! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%