Bh&g Cookbook Help

Lounge By leily Updated 28 Jun 2006 , 3:35am by S1eepygrl

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 1:39am
post #1 of 9

I have been collecting all versions of BH&G coolbooks. I was looking through the one copyrighted in 1953 and am missing a page. I was wondering if anyone had it?

It is page 311-312 I am looking for the recipe for Strawberry Cream pie. This page actually as all cream pies on it and a custard pie and a fruit pie. If anyone has the recipe from this cookbook can you please let me know what it is? I looked through the 1996 softside version, 75th anniversary edition, and the breast cancer BH&G cookbooks and didn't find it.

Thanks for any help with this!

Leily

8 replies
mommykicksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommykicksbutt Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 2:09am
post #2 of 9

I have the 1963 BH&G and no "strawberry creame pie" however, there is a strawberry alaska pie, strawberry chiffon pie, strawberry parfait pie, strawberry rhubarb pie, and strawberry frozen pie in the Pie chapter; and a strawberry cream (not pie) in the easy desserts chapter.

Perhaps they have renamed it with a slight adjustment to the ingredients. Do you remember any of the ingredients? anything strike your memory as unique? ie. cream cheese, ice cream, sour cream, gelatine, egg whites, food coloring, etc?

I'd be happy to post, pm, or email any of these recipes to you. thumbs_up.gif

leily Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 2:22am
post #3 of 9

Thanks for your help mommykicksbutt.

Unfortunately I don't know any of the ingredients. This is one book I bought off of ebay and it didn't come with the page (or at least i haven't found it stuffed into another chapter anywhere.)

The strawberry chiffon pie and strawberry parfait pie were listed in the one i have.

Hmm i don't know if the strawyberry cream would be it or not. It is listed on the chapter index page as follows:
Chapter 15 Pastry and Pies - Cream Pies - Strawbery Creme

Sorry i don't have more information =(

Leily

mommykicksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommykicksbutt Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 2:34am
post #4 of 9

Chapter 12 Pastry and Pies (1963 ed.) has no cream pie sub-category at all! Just chiffon, custard, fruit, ice cream, meringue, parfait, pastry, crusts, tarts.

Under chapter 10 Easy meals, sub-cat easy desserts is where the strawberry cream is located:

1 3oz pkg cream cheese, softened
2 Tbsp sugar
dash salt
1 cup whipping cream
fresh whole strawberries

in small mixing bowl, combine cheese, sugar, salt, and 2 Tbsp whipping cream; beat till fluffy. Whip remaining cream; fold into cheese mixture. Spoon over berries. Makes 1 3/4 cups sauce.

This recipe might be able to be adapted for a pre backed pie crust or cookie crust.

Hope this helps.

leily Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 2:40am
post #5 of 9

Thanks mommykicksbutt!

I am still very curious as to what the Strawberry cream Pie is, however that recipe for Strawberry cream sounds delish also!

I have a family get together for lunch tomorrow and was trying to figure out something different from my cakes I usually make. So i thought it would be fun to dig out the old cookbooks and find a different recipe.

I was going to make the Strawberry Meringue Torte, but i'm not sure i'm up for it still tonight.

Thanks for all your help, I am definitely going to have to file the Strawberry cream.

Does anyone else have the 1953 cook book? Here is a link to the front of the book if anyone is wondering what version it is.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0696222124.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Thanks!

Leily

leily Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 2:51am
post #6 of 9

I was hoping somene else might have this cook book? I already made something, but am still very interested in finding out what this recipe is.

If anyone can help out I would appreciate it thanks!

Leily

S1eepygrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
S1eepygrl Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 3:20am
post #7 of 9

Hi Ya'll,

I don't know what year this is from because it does not have a front cover.

E-mail me if you still want/need the recipes.

Hope these help!

[/img]

leily Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 3:29am
post #8 of 9

I appreciate the help S1eepygrl, but I dont' see an image. Is it a link?

I am still looking for the recipe for Strawberry Cream Pie from the BH&G cookbook copyrighted 1953. It is listed in the pie section.

Thanks for looking!

Leily

S1eepygrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
S1eepygrl Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 3:35am
post #9 of 9

Send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I will send it to you.

I don't know how to upload an image.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%