Red !!!!

Decorating By tricia Updated 23 May 2007 , 4:26am by Erika513x2

tricia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tricia Posted 21 May 2007 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 8

I have so much trouble getting my buttercream icing to a pretty RED...it always turn a yucky redish but never a true red. I have no problem with coloring rolled buttercream red. Should I color the Buttercream icing a different shade first before adding red? I have used wilton no taste red and I have tried a powered red from CK products...? Used a whole bottle of wilton red on only 2 cups of icing...
Any advice would be appreciated!

7 replies
NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 21 May 2007 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 8

I have read for red (LOL, sounds funny), that you should start with making your icing a very dark pink. Many CC members have had great success with getting your icing a true red. They also let it sit overnight(or a few hours), after adding the red to the pink icing, to let it deepen to see if the need to add more red. Due to BC darkening as it rests=) HTH some, Jen

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 21 May 2007 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 8

I had to make red frosting this week-end for a graduation cake. I was very pleased with my final red until I opened the box this morning. My red had turned almost garnet. I couldn't believe how much the red had darkened. I started out by making a deep pink (Americolor), then used Americolor Red Red.

Now I am not sure what to do the next time. Instead of high school colors I had college colors.

darkchocolate
LL

MissLady85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLady85 Posted 21 May 2007 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 8

I didnt have much luck with red before i bough the americolor super red!! now i dont have a fear of making red (i gave the wilton to my sister whos starting out in cake decorating)

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 21 May 2007 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 8

I always add just a touch of maroon to give my red a deeper, richer color.

Elserj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elserj Posted 21 May 2007 , 10:27pm
post #6 of 8

I agree with MissLady85. I couldn't get a good red for the life of me until I bought Americolor Super Red I got on this site. I have never had a problem with red since then.

AmburlyDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmburlyDawn Posted 22 May 2007 , 12:49pm
post #7 of 8

I had a spiderman cake due this Sunday and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get the red right and it would look like spidey in pink. I tried a few different techniques (coloring the icing pink first, coloring it red and then letting it sit, and making chocolate bc and then coloring it red) and the only one that really worked for me was making a light chocolate icing and then coloring it red, I also let it sit for about an hour before I used it for decorating. Not only did I get a beautiful red color, I also had a delicious icing.

Erika513x2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erika513x2 Posted 23 May 2007 , 4:26am
post #8 of 8

I feel like i use red alot, its a pain in the A, but u have to make it like a week in advance , eventhough ur going to use alot of the red paste anyway. everyday in the fridge the icing gets darker. to me it seems if u add a touch of burgandy it helps a tiny bit but not much. trust me start now and by sunday u'll be fine. I did a betty boop cake and the primary color was red and i was fine. so as soon as u read this go make some red icing and add a bunch of the color and keep adding everday until u get the one u want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%