Mmf Breaking Apart!!

Decorating By cakemommy Updated 30 Jun 2006 , 2:31pm by cakemommy

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 2:48am
post #1 of 20

I don't know how else to describe it but the last several batches of MMF I have made have just "broken" apart if you will. icon_confused.gif Think of really stiff cookie dough kind of like Snickerdoodle dough. If you use your hands to section the dough, the texture of the "inside" of the dough ball is what I'm getting with my MMF. It's not smooth at all when I start kneading it again after it has sat. I nuke it for 10 secs or more if needed but that still doesn't help! I always have to end up using some Crisco to help soften it up and make it pliable! What could be causing this? I have switched brands of marshmallows and powd sugar but they aren't generic brands!!!

Amy

19 replies
mkight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkight Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 2:56am
post #2 of 20

This might be totally off base, but could it be the weather? Perhaps there is less humidity in the air, causing your mmf to dry out quicker or need more water when you make it. Just a thought.....?????

cakemommy Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 3:15am
post #3 of 20

Could that really affect how it turns out????? I mean, this is Washington!!!!!! icon_lol.gif Have you ever had to add more than 2 T of water! I never even considered that. This is the first time I have made the stuff this time of year. I started making it in the winter! HHMMMMMMM!!!!! icon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gif

Amy

fmandds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmandds Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 3:26am
post #4 of 20

While I don't have a answer I do know humidity plays a part. I have tried many times to make my caramel sauce in the winter and am always unsuccessful. I can only make it in the summer. I end up make batch after batch of caramel to stock up for winter use.

Rexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rexy Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 3:30am
post #5 of 20

I have noticed a difference when I change brands of marshmallows, seems strange but true. My only suggestion would be nuking it and adding some crisco. Sorry!

cakemommy Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 4:08am
post #6 of 20

What I'll do is try a process of elimination. I'll make another batch using the marshmallows I first started using. If that doesn't work, then I'll go back to the powdered sugar. If THAT doesn't do the trick I will just have to do what I've been doing, nuke it a bit and knead in a little Crisco! I hate to do that but it has helped with it's stickiness!!!

Amy

heatherlikesfood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heatherlikesfood Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 6:14pm
post #7 of 20

My wife and I are doing our first series of MMf Cakes right now and finding the batch that we used diff marshmellows in isn't working as well (crumbly).

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 6:18pm
post #8 of 20

What brand marshmallows does everyone use? I've only tried MMF with Kraft. I've been too afraid to try the store brands.

Rexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rexy Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 7:39pm
post #9 of 20

I personally like the Kraft the best, however I can buy them in bulk at our BJ's warehouse and it's cheaper.

cakemommy Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 7:45pm
post #10 of 20

I was using Kraft but switched to Campfire because of the cost!

Crumbly!!!!!!!!!!!!! DUH!!!!!!!!!!! THAT'S THE WORD I WAS LOOKING FOR!!! icon_redface.gif

Amy

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 7:48pm
post #11 of 20

My MMF experience has been that I do not need nearly as much powdered sugar as the directions state. I kneed in in my KA mixer with the dough hook and add a little powderes sugar at a time, I also let it sit wrapped up for a couple of hours before use.

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 11:34pm
post #12 of 20

I'm with the last post-- you should try using less powdered sugar. I used to have trouble with my MMF getting really super firm and hard to work with even after a day or two. Cracking problems too--

I read on this site to cut back on the powdered sugar and it made a huge difference. I probably use about 3/4 of a 2 pound bag now. It always seems a little soft but it firms up to the right texture by the next day. Good luck!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 11:43pm
post #13 of 20

I have found during the summer I have needed different amount of Powdered sugar depending on the humidity that day. It almost sounds like the water/sugar ratio isnt' right, whether you need a drop or two of water or more/less powdered sugar I am not quite sure. Let us know what you find out.

As for brands of marshmellows I use the wal-mart Great Value brand and don't have any problems. For as many mm I use GV is what i have usually used. Although I do have to say when making MM over a campfire nothing but Kraft for me! I know weird isn't it! icon_redface.gif

HTH

Leily

cakemommy Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 3:21am
post #14 of 20

Thanks all! It sounds like you have all "been there done that" with the MMF! I never end up using all the powd sugar!! WHEW!!!!!!!!! I have so many batches to make for a wedding cake coming up in a few weeks. I better start now!!!!!

Amy

heatherlikesfood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heatherlikesfood Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 9:07pm
post #15 of 20

we started adding glucose to our MMF ( just about a tbsp) and it was very flexible and not crumbling after that! We were kind of in a bind and didn't have time to make another batch, but the glucose worked perfectly! Hope that helps.`

cakemommy Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 11:59pm
post #16 of 20

Did you add the glucose after it was made and set up or as you made it?

That sounds like a great idea!!!

Amy

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 12:08am
post #17 of 20

I add more water to mine when it is like that. I start with 3 tablespoons, maybe more when I make it and I use all the sugar. If it is still too stiff then I wet my hands and knead some more so that I don't get to much in it. I also will add more crisco if neccessary. I find that adding a tiny bit of water helps get it to a better consistency. I also found that if you are using imperial powdered sugar, or pretty much anything but CandH it doesn't work. I tried imperial because it was cheaper at the base, but it made my frostings adn my mmf very different to work with than when using CandH. I could be wrong but I think that campfire marshmallows have more air in them than do the kraft ones. I tried both and found that it was worth the ten cent difference to buy the kraft marshmallows.

cakemommy Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 12:16am
post #18 of 20

Hey, long time no "read"!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I was using C & H and switched because the commissary keeps changing brands. Some times they have C & H and other times they have something else! I used to use Holly as well. They haven't carried that in an eon though!! I think I will definately switch back to Kraft marshmallows though. I'll also try adding a bit more water. I used to be able to mix in all the powdered sugar but as of late I haven't been able to use it all! icon_twisted.gif

I have approx 3 batches to do for the wedding cake I have for July 16th!!!!!!

How have you been doing btw???

Amy

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 7:12am
post #19 of 20

i have been doing well our baby burned her hand last month and i have been dealing with that. i just made a batch of mmf tonight it took me five tablespoons of water and it was just right for tonight. with the dry weather i think you will definitely need to use more water. My kitchen tends to be a moisture sucker though, so I always use more water than what is usually called for. how have you been?

cakemommy Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 2:31pm
post #20 of 20

Well, I'll have to start making my three batches this next week so thanks for the heads up on the extra water! You just put all that in with the MM at the beginning right?

My youngest burned his hand shortly after his birthday in December. We had to take him to the ER at Harborview!!! The ER at NHB referred us up there! Not a fun place to be on a Saturday night! Quite frightening actually!!!!! His hand healed in no time with the help of aloe vera lotion given to us by the Dr. Babies skin heals so much faster! Now, you'd never know he burned his hand.

My hubby is out for seven weeks right now and has three more to go!! It's been going by SO SLLLOOOWWWWW!!!!!! Thank goodness the weather is nice huh!!!!! I've been spending a lot of time outside!!!

Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%