Gum Paste Flowers And Sculptures Have Same Rules?

Business By cakes80 Updated 24 Jun 2006 , 4:26am by moydear77

cakes80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes80 Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 1:53am
post #1 of 2

I have thought about trying to start a home business doing cakes for some time but can't afford the investment of getting legal right now. I am considering trying to start selling gum paste/fondant flowers and figures but was wondering if I would still be subject to all the food rules and regs since most of the time people don't eat those things. Not sure where to look to find out. (I live in Minnesota) Anyone have any ideas?

1 reply
moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 4:26am
post #2 of 2

I am in Minnesota and as far as I know yes the same rules apply. Altough we do fall under an exclusion that says that we do not sell on a regular basis, Take orders only and sell directly to the ultimate consumer. You cannot advertise which is where you will run into problems. They are sold for consumption whether they eat them or not. They can touch a cake and that cake can be cross contaminated with your flower. It is a liability issue.
I have a website with photos and a header that states that it is a showcase gallery. No pricing and just the name of my site cakes by maryann. I have email link but few even know it is there. I spoke with The Department Of Agriculture and I just get by with the regulations regarding advertising.
It will cost me a small fortune to do a commersial grade kitchen. I am shooting for September of 2007.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%