Baking For The Heck Of It

Decorating By Maria071 Updated 22 May 2007 , 12:56pm by Maria071

Maria071 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria071 Posted 21 May 2007 , 12:55pm
post #1 of 9

Cakes are not my job or anything BUT I sure love doing it (no, I am nowhere near as good as most of you) BUT my family and i are putting on a ton of weight with all my baking. My question is can you bake cakes and give them away to local soup kitchens etc.?

8 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 21 May 2007 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 9

Different places have different rules so check with your local ones.

Don't forget about your local Fireman, Police officers, or do you have a local recruiting station for any of the armed forces?

Just some more ideas!

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 21 May 2007 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 9

I sometimes put mine on freecycle. I ask that it goes to a family who has a birthday or something coming up so they get good use out of it... I get sick of feeding my husband's coworkers!

cakeislove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeislove Posted 21 May 2007 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 9

We have this problem too! I never thought that I would hear a man complain about having too much cake in the house!

Do you bake to bake or do you bake to decorate? If it's the decorating you are working on, have you considered buying cake dummies to practice on? I ordered a bunch for myself for mother's day and that's really helped to keep us from eating cake with every meal. icon_rolleyes.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 21 May 2007 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 9

I used to give my cakes to the teachers at my sons school. It is now almost 10 years later, and they still call me for special cakes for the teachers! Try your church, too.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 21 May 2007 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 9

I brought mine to work with me each week when I did a cake as we also battle with weight in my house..

So they started asking where the cakes were when I didn't bring them in and the senior engineering director said that they loved the cakes so much and that it was a great "team" activity (they pile in the kitchen at 2:30 every Monday) and so they let me expense my cake ingredients...How cool is that????

I have had a TON of orders from coworkers...that is basically all I do...and family...

You will get orders I am sure once they get "addicted" to the cakes!!!!!

alysmom09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alysmom09 Posted 21 May 2007 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 9

You might want to try your physician's office as well.....The girls at my old office would go nuts when a patient brought stuff in. We always LOVE sweets!!! You just might get some orders as well icon_smile.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 21 May 2007 , 6:03pm
post #8 of 9

Oh what about some place like a Ronald McDonald house, a women's shelter, or a place like Gilda's Club. Just make sure if you take to a couple of these places that you make a list of the ingredients just incase anyone can't have something.

Maria071 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria071 Posted 22 May 2007 , 12:56pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you guys. I am baking to get rid of stress. Sounds silly I know but when I am working on a cake I think only of the cake. I'm not a pro by any stretch but to me it's fun.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%