Ideas Please!! Topsy Turvy & My Little Pony

Decorating By S1eepygrl Updated 26 Jun 2006 , 9:31pm by SLK

S1eepygrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
S1eepygrl Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 10

Hi Ya'll,

I need ideas on how to decorate a topsy turvy cake in a My Little Pony (MLP) theme, Please!!!

The Devil is turning 5. Thinks she is 50. icon_twisted.gif My where has 5 years gone? She has choosen MLP for this years theme. I usually buy a full sheet cake for her party. This year I want to try. I have checked the local bakeries and the best they can/will do is an edible image. (boring)

My neighbor is loaning me her oven since mine is still broken. tapedshut.gif It is going to be 106 degrees today and for the rest of this week. Her parties are always at the zoo, which it gets warm but, in the park we are comfortable. Big water baloon fight helps.

Anywho I really need some ideas on the decorations for this cake. I do have all of her ponies that I can add to it.

Thanks for all of your wonderful help!

9 replies
Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 10

On this web site their is instructions for this type of cake I am planning on making one with the ocean them next month for my nephew I'd like to see pics of yours when it's complete I and told pound cake is the best cake for this type cake.

Molly2

S1eepygrl Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks for the bump!

I am going to follow the directions that are posted here on CC. I need decorating ideas. I wish the cartoons were still being played. Oh well. I know Ya'll will help me come up sith a great looking cake!

Eliza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobam Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 10

WOW... I'm glad you asked this! This is EXACTLY what my little girl who is turning 4 wants for her party next month!!

So I am right with you.. have been searching for ideas..

I think I may play off the colors and flower type shape on the border of these party plates that we'll get for the party...

http://www.hasbro.com/common/images/products/3401896-01c9c9d8_Main400.jpg

http://www.hasbro.com/common/images/products/3401895-2f9f6b8_Main400.jpg

Hope that helps a little... I can't wait to read ideas on this one!!

S1eepygrl Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 10

WOW!

That is so awesome! Devil said that when she saw the pic. I forget to look in the galleries. So I looked and WOW!, there are some great artist here on CC.

Thank you.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 10

I'm not sure what your decorating skills are, but Debbie Brown has an AWESOME My Little Pony Cake in one of her books - I think it's called "Lovable Character Cakes". It has a picture of Barney on the front. I haven't tried making it yet, but I fell in love with it! I've been a MLP fan for a long time! (I'm 24 and I still love 'em!). You can find some of the cartoons on youtube.com . They also are still selling ponies and videos in Toys R Us, Target, etc. Please post your picture when you make it!

SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 8:48pm
post #8 of 10

I love topsy turvy cakes and have done several of them for kids themes.

One for Dora, and one for....well it's called Spongeberry Doradumpling - a mixed theme of Spongebob, Dora and Strawberry Shortcake. I have not done one in my little pony yet - but could easily see how it would work.

Take a look - both pics are in my folder. They were so much easier to do than I though they would be. You will love doing one.

The most important thing is picking out the right colors. I would start by going to walmart and looking for a MLP book to get color ideas. Then you might look for little toys to top the cake with...then just go crazy with the design and have fun with the colors.

Good Luck...if you the construction of my topsy turvy cakes, I'd be happy to share more info with you.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 9:11pm
post #9 of 10

SLK

Oh my god I love your cakes I am wanting to do one next month ocean theme Ihope mine come out half as good as yours ny nephew is wanting a cake with a shark on it I almost gave up on doing a topsy turvy here lately all I;ve been hearing on this site is how hard they are but you give me inspiration to try. did you use the direction from this site.

Molly thumbs_up.gif

SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 9:31pm
post #10 of 10

Molly2 - I sort of used the instructions here and I also took inspiration from the new Collette Peters book on how she constructs cakes. The one posted on this site is so big - I needed something much smaller. So I took a little from here....a little from there.

The first one I did was so much easier than I though it would be, and then the second one was a breeze to put together. The hard part for me is the colors. I really try to map out the colors ahead of time and get a rough sketch of the cake first.

If you pm me with your e-mail, I have some instructions I sent to someone about how to put this together, I'd be happy to share.

The key is to never be afraid to try it....and - THIS IS IMPORTANT - don't listen to that little voice in your head that tells you "That's not right, that's not perfect, I can see flaws here and here and here." No cake - that I have done, is ever perfect. But, the people we are making these cakes for have never seen anything like them before - so they will never see what you think is imperfect. Just have fun.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%