Combing The Sides

Decorating By kdhoffert Updated 24 Jun 2006 , 4:31am by kdhoffert

kdhoffert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdhoffert Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 14

Ok, is there a special technique out there when it comes to combing the sides? I was doing some dummy cakes for a wedding with the wilton combing set, the one where you can do the different designs on the sides. I get it started well, and then it scrapes too much icing off. I am holding it at an angle and I'm not pressing too hard. Do I need to let it crust or something?

13 replies
jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:23pm
post #2 of 14

Every time I've tried to use the comb, the same thing happens. Just thought it was me. I just gave up on it. It's easier to smooth the forsting than to reice and scrape it off again. I'm glad I only paid $1 for the thing! Good luck!

kdhoffert Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 14

well i have to hold it high enough so the bottom of the handle part doesn't hit the cake stand, so I do that and it still doesn't help.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:30pm
post #4 of 14

It really takes practice, to learn how much pressure, and how deep to put the comb into the icing. I find that I have to put a lot of icing on the cake, because it really scrapes off a lot. I did finally get it, but it was frustrating getting there. Keep trying.

kdhoffert Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:31pm
post #5 of 14

I was starting to wonder how much icing I needed to put on, I kept caking it on. Maybe I need even more icon_smile.gif

ellyrae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellyrae Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:33pm
post #6 of 14

I haven't used the Wilton combs but are you putting your icing on thicker than usual? That might help some....not sure.

I've always used a serrated edge knife to comb the sides when I needed to. Works great! Of course you can only get one or two different looks (wavy verses straight), but it never takes off too much icing.
Good luck with the Wilton tool!
elly

kdhoffert Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:35pm
post #7 of 14

hmm... never thought of that one. The wedding cake is a cheesecake, so there are dummies because of it being so hot. They told me to do whatever. Maybe I'll try the knife and see how it works, or try a basketweave or something.

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:38pm
post #8 of 14

I have the triangle comb. You have to make sure that you are not holding the comb straight to the cake, it has be be at an angle to keep the comb from digging in.

kdhoffert Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:39pm
post #9 of 14

yeah, I used to use those when I worked in a store bakery, I wanted it to look a little more elegant that just straight lines.

ellyrae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellyrae Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:41pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdhoffert

hmm... never thought of that one. The wedding cake is a cheesecake, so there are dummies because of it being so hot. They told me to do whatever. Maybe I'll try the knife and see how it works, or try a basketweave or something.

Have you tried the Martha Stewart basket weave? There's a tutorial on how to do it on the home page. It's a nice look.

kdhoffert Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:44pm
post #11 of 14

yeah, I thought about trying that. I'll have to go through all my knives icon_smile.gif I'm assuming it's a lot quicker than traditional basketweave.

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 5:44pm
post #12 of 14

Yes, you definitely need to put a ton of icing on the sides because alot will come off using the comb but I love the look. Have fun!

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 1:26am
post #13 of 14

i like to comb the sides too-- i use a triangle comb that's sharp and metal but i don't think it matters. i put it on thick and run my comb under really hot water and dry it all the way before i comb.

when i've had trouble with the cake showing though (maybe frosting too thin or room too hot), i've stuck the cake in the freezer for a few minutes to let the first layer of frosting get nice and firm, then refrost with thin layer to comb. works well! good luck.

kdhoffert Posted 24 Jun 2006 , 4:31am
post #14 of 14

Thanks. I ended up just smoothing the sides and doing scroll work in red to match the strawberries going on top, and the bride has red in her dress too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%