To Crumb Coat Or Not?

Decorating By mareg Updated 23 May 2007 , 3:21am by BakingGirl

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 21 May 2007 , 3:52am
post #1 of 26

After trime consuming crunbcoating a 3 tier cake today I was just thinking do I HAVE to do this? It would save soooo much time.

thanks for taking the time to answer my poll question! thumbs_up.gif

25 replies
MissLady85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLady85 Posted 21 May 2007 , 3:54am
post #2 of 26

i seam to get ALOT of crumbs in my icing if i dont crumb coat.. but thats just me...

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 21 May 2007 , 3:58am
post #3 of 26

For important cakes, it's a must for me. It tends to get crumbly and bulge without a crumb coat.

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 21 May 2007 , 3:59am
post #4 of 26

Same here as the pp mentioned. I get crumbs in my icing if I don't. But I do not own the icer tip(on my list to buy), which I guess works awesome for icing the cake and not having crumbs in the icing! Jen

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 21 May 2007 , 4:00am
post #5 of 26

I don't crumb coat, but I do use the icing tip. I found that if I don't use the tip I am more likely to get crumbs but with the icing tip it's thick enough that I don't have to really worry about crumbs. But this is a personal preference. I think the majority crumb coat.

JMHO

Judi

Badeerah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Badeerah Posted 21 May 2007 , 4:04am
post #6 of 26

i do have the icer tip and have not used it, does it really help with not getting the crumbs in the icing? Is it because it puts it on kind of thick? Just asking, have patience I am still learning. icon_confused.gif

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 21 May 2007 , 4:08am
post #7 of 26

I have had the icer tip for about a year and a half and have never used it, purely because of laziness. I have heard it makes a difference though!

Blue0877 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Blue0877 Posted 21 May 2007 , 4:15am
post #8 of 26

I have never crumb coated but I have a question about it...do you crumb coat at let it sit for a certain amount of time? do you let it crust? and does that affect the coat you put on top at all?

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 21 May 2007 , 4:16am
post #9 of 26

You let it crust and when you ice over that, the crumbs don't show up on the second layer, or most of them don't.

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 21 May 2007 , 4:19am
post #10 of 26

Yes, I think it's important to crumb coat. Makes for a much nicer second layer WITHOUT crumb issues.

Blue0877 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Blue0877 Posted 21 May 2007 , 4:20am
post #11 of 26

thank you Schmoop!! Maybe I'll give it a try next time!!

Elizabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth19 Posted 21 May 2007 , 4:30am
post #12 of 26

I started using the icing tip about a month ago and havent crumb coated since. I thought the tip would be more time consuming but for me it has actually turned out to be a time saver! I love it!!! As of yet I havent had any crumb problems. I also like the icing tip because I know Ive got an even thickness of icing on the cake (I always used to worry about that!).

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 21 May 2007 , 5:08am
post #13 of 26

I always glaze my cakes, not only does it help on the crumbs, but it can add additional moistness and flavor, especially when using variety coatings.

MsRhonda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsRhonda Posted 21 May 2007 , 6:47am
post #14 of 26

When I first started, I always crumbed coated and then I got lazy and tried not crumb coating and in the end I went back to doing the crumb coat. It is worth the little extra time and effort.

gismo12002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gismo12002 Posted 21 May 2007 , 2:33pm
post #15 of 26

This is ONE of the best tips--that helps me--that I have recieved from this site! I would NOT make a cake now without crumb coating it!! It may be time consuming--but WELL worth the time spent!!

mareg Posted 22 May 2007 , 9:40pm
post #16 of 26

Thanks a bunch...I guess I'll continue to crumb coat! Looks like most of us do!! icon_smile.gif

Delicate-Lee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delicate-Lee Posted 22 May 2007 , 10:39pm
post #17 of 26

I crumb coat only certain cakes...so its half half really

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 22 May 2007 , 10:48pm
post #18 of 26

I crumb coat every cake I make, whether iced in Italian meringue buttercream or chocolate icing. It just gives you a smoother surface to work on and having a cake perfectly iced is always important to me.

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 22 May 2007 , 11:32pm
post #19 of 26

I crumb coat but I just bought the icing tip so I may try not crumb coating and just using the icing tip after reading this forum!

babycakes7651 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes7651 Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:05am
post #20 of 26

Has anyone ever tried icing a cake like Toba Garrett shows in her book? I used to have so much trouble and then I tried her way and I LOVE it. And I don't have to crumb coat either! Just a thought......

babycakes7651 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes7651 Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:06am
post #21 of 26

Has anyone ever tried icing a cake like Toba Garrett shows in her book? I used to have so much trouble and then I tried her way and I LOVE it. And I don't have to crumb coat either! Just a thought......

mareg Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:29am
post #22 of 26

I don't have her book. What does she suggest?

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:38am
post #23 of 26

If the cake is not cooperating - I will crumb coat.

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:39am
post #24 of 26

I didn't crumb coat for a long time, but since I started doing it, it makes a world of difference. Not only does it trap the crumbs, but like ShirleyW mentioned, it just gives me a nicer surface to work on. Big difference for me in the finished product.

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 23 May 2007 , 2:39am
post #25 of 26

chocolate cake with white frosting is the bane of my existance. even when i crumb coat, i get crumbs in my frosting. sometimes i wonder if i should start a new trend! icon_lol.gif

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 23 May 2007 , 3:21am
post #26 of 26

I have been using the Toba Garrett method but find it very time consuming. So I have bought the icer tip, at least it is a lot bigger than using a no 18 star tip to cover the cake with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%