Making Sample Cake For Bride

Decorating By Helendelk Updated 23 Jun 2006 , 7:29am by fearlessbaker

Helendelk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Helendelk Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 1:52am
post #1 of 11

When you guys make sample cakes how many and what size do you make... I've never really made them just always made white cake with creamcheese filling with fresh strawberries blended into the filling.
I have a bride in which is getting a HECK Of a deal and she is now wanting to get picky on me.. I'm just biting my tongue because she is so young but I mean come on I'm charging her 50.00 for all her flowers and her cake for 40-50 people... It's my bestfriends niece which I don't mind but the wanting to try sevral differnt samples kinda got under my skin for some reason... lol Musta been grouchy or something... I'm mainly doing it to put in my album, Anyway suggestions are highly needed.

10 replies
dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 1:56am
post #2 of 11

You need to give this girl some boundaries!! Let her know there are limits to what she will get fo $50.00! If she starts asking for more stuff, I'd let her know you will start charging for more stuff.

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 1:56am
post #3 of 11

fifty bucks? holy cow, i don't blame you for being annoyed. I would say that for that price you can''t afford to make samples. tell her what you are willing to make and have her choose one untasted. unless she is willing to pay for the sample cakes on top of the wedding cake.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:03am
post #4 of 11

I make cupcakes for samples. Very simple, nothing fancy at all about how they look. Easy to ice, easy to fill, just the right size. And they taste great!

I think you are way undercharging, and you should put your foot down before Bridezilla takes a bite out of the hand that is making her cake.

Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:36am
post #5 of 11

You are doing her cake AND all her flowers for 50?!?! Will that even cover your materials & ingredients? You are being VERY generous and she is taking advantage of you. It sounds like ypur bride needs a reality check.....Here's an idea.....my SIL is a lawyer and from time to time we have needed her services. She doesn't charge us but she does send us a "bill", explaining EVERYTHING that she has done and what she would normally charge-just to remind us how lucky we are. Maybe you should do the same for your bride? She sounds like she doesn't have a clue.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:39am
post #6 of 11

you're losing money on this as it is.

missyjo30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyjo30 Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:41am
post #7 of 11

I would tell her (in a nice way) that because she is getting the cake and flowers so cheap that you will have to charge her for the sample cakes. Have her choose 2 flavor combinations and charge her $20 for them.

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 2:41am
post #8 of 11

I offer only one flavor of cake for bride samples. I make a 6" cake & cut & fill with buttercream. It's free. So I get to say what goes!!!!!

Helendelk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Helendelk Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 3:19am
post #9 of 11

Thanks for your input.... My friend explained to her how expensive it would be to do different samples.. She said Oh I didnt think it would be much trouble for her.. (18 yr old speaking) no Offense to anyone....
She said ok can she do one but give me a list of what she can do... I'm doing it so cheap for my friend and for the experience. Basically just being nice since I know she wont get to carry a bouquet unless I make her one.. I think every bride should get to carry a bouquet and have a wedding cake ... Since my dad has been sick I havent really done any floral decorations and hardly any cakes.. Im hoping doing this will spark that creative flame again..
Just gotta remember she is young and just excited she is getting flowers and cake. I'll just icon_biggrin.gif and bare it. I love my friend to death and I know in the long run her friendship will be payment enough.

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 4:37am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helendelk

Basically just being nice since I know she wont get to carry a bouquet unless I make her one.. I think every bride should get to carry a bouquet and have a wedding cake ... Just gotta remember she is young and just excited she is getting flowers and cake. I'll just icon_biggrin.gif and bare it. I love my friend to death and I know in the long run her friendship will be payment enough.

What a wonderful, compassionate, and generous friend you are. She will always remember your kindness...and she will appreciate it all the more the older and more mature she gets. And one day she will pay it forward, I am sure.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 7:29am
post #11 of 11

You are a remarkable and kind person. If you can afford to do something like this then by all means do it. This young girl may not know right now how much you are giving but in time when she looks back at her wedding she will. We may never know how we affect people. This act of generosity could lead her down the same path.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%