I Don't Want To Get My Hopes Up Too High But.....

Decorating By eriksmom Updated 19 Jun 2007 , 11:30pm by kelleym

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 20 May 2007 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 18

I'm supposed to go sign a lease on a shop on Wednesday! I can't believe I found this place. Actually, a client told me about it, as it just became available and hadn't even been advertised yet.

It was the barber shop side of a salon, and the business owner couldn't keep enough people in it to support it. All the plumbing is in place, divider walls to separate work areas from front room, and its in this little shopping district with all the cottages that are now party stores, salons, day spas, interior decorators, etc. There is even a little bistro up the street that caters to bridal and baby showers and the occasional small wedding reception.

It's in a quaint little 2 story building with a carribean facade. About 650 sq. ft. total, I think. I haven't measured yet. The best part is this.......

ONLY $400 A MONTH!!!!!! No catch, I've been waiting for it, but the landlady says there is none. I'll be sharing the space with a friend who does catering on the side, so I will only be paying half the rent and utilities.

I suppose it pays to wait and not jump on the first place you find. I am just beside myself right now, and I wanted to share my happiness with you all.

Wish me luck!

Becky

17 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 20 May 2007 , 10:31pm
post #2 of 18

Wow!!! That is so exciting! Post some pics of the place, so we can live vicariously. Good luck!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 20 May 2007 , 11:33pm
post #3 of 18

I'm so happy for you icon_biggrin.gif

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 21 May 2007 , 12:07am
post #4 of 18

I'm so excited for you! That is an awesome deal, and even better that you have someone to share it with!

Good luck - and be sure to post pics when you're moved in!

Congrats! I hope all goes well.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 May 2007 , 1:22am
post #5 of 18

YOur little angel on your shoulder is working a little overtime! What a great find! I agree with the aboves .... we want pics and updates! Congrats to you!!!!!!

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 21 May 2007 , 1:33am
post #6 of 18

soooo exciting! I wish ALL the best!!

eriksmom Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:28pm
post #7 of 18

I will surely post pics! it's such a charming little place, in the perfect location. tomorrow is the big signing day, i'm a little nervous. i keep thinking that little angel on my should might h ave been teasing me, but so far things are going well.
i just got a line on some equipment i will need that i can get cheap, and make payments too! it pays to know people.
ok, keep your fingers crossed for me!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:37pm
post #8 of 18

If I weren't so choked up with jealousy I would sing the happy song for you! icon_lol.gif Just teasing! I wish you all the best and hope your dream comes true with no hitches!! YOU GO GIRL!!!

manderfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manderfrog Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:40pm
post #9 of 18

Oh I am so happy...jealous....I mean happy icon_lol.gif Congratulations and good luck with your signing.

MMorales11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MMorales11 Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:40pm
post #10 of 18

Thats FANTASTIC!!!! I wish you all the best!

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:46pm
post #11 of 18

Wow congrats! Good for you!
Be sure to post pics ! icon_biggrin.gif

DFND Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DFND Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:46pm
post #12 of 18

Congratulations! Sounds like a great space.

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:47pm
post #13 of 18

Congratulations! I'm green with envy that you'll have your own shop, but someday my prince will come!

Can't wait to see pics!

mazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazz Posted 24 May 2007 , 1:22am
post #14 of 18

Congratulations! Sounds like your going to be on the island - how cool! Give me a holler I would love to stop by. Have you decided what your going to call the business? I hope things go well - then you can hire me to help you out - HaHa. "Pm" me I would love to hear the details.

Marie

eriksmom Posted 29 May 2007 , 1:21am
post #15 of 18

Ok, I signed the lease last week, but I was so busy with graduation cakes last week, that I decided to take a few days off this week to spend with my kids and DH, and pay some attention to my 6 loads of laundry. Oh dear, what have I gotten myself into?!
The lease goes into effect June 15, so all I can do right now is spend lots of time working on my floor plan, going to yard sales and thrift shops for all the "little things" I don't want to take from home, and keep up with the current orders.
Thanks all for your support! I don't mean to make anybody jealous. Things like this never happen to me. I'm still waiting to wake up to discover it all a dream. But my kids are letting me know that I'm wide awake!

eriksmom Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 10:18pm
post #16 of 18

Just an update, for those who responded previously -
I got the key to the shop yesterday!
I was supposed to be sharing the place with a woman who does catering, but not surprisingly, she didn't pay her half of the deposit/rent when the lease kicked in, so I paid it. I told her I would look into subleasing to her at a later date if she didn't feel comfortable committing to the lease. She liked that idea (yeah, like she'll ever come through on that either).
So basically, the place is mine, all mine!!!!!
So now, I get to go in and start removing wallpaper backing that the other folks didn't bother to take down. Then its painting all weekend. Yippee. I'm on a tight budget now, so I can't hire anyone to do it for me.
Well, I just wanted to share my excitement with those who can relate and appreciate.
Thanks all for all the support, it means quite alot.

Becky

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 10:35pm
post #17 of 18

party.gif

congrats on achieving the next stage!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 11:30pm
post #18 of 18

How wonderful!!! Please keep us updated, and post pictures! We want to live vicariously through you! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%