Want To Do A Wedding Cake Real Bad!

Decorating By mommabuda Updated 9 Jul 2006 , 3:10pm by steffla

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 7:57pm
post #1 of 25

i've been doing cakes for awhile now... i attempted my own wedding cake about a year ago and it was a disaster. since then i've taken a few wilton courses and would really like to attempt another tiered cake. (i have yet to take course 3 by the way). would i be crazy to just go ahead and make a wedding cake for the heck of it? i was thinking of doing a 6, 8 & 10" just so i can basically take a picture of it and have it in my cake book. my hubby can take one of them to work but as for the rest... who knows where they'll end up. it's probably just a big waste of cake but i've been pondering this for awhile. i have nothing to do all day tomorrow and thought maybe that would be a good time to try this... would the 6, 8 and 10" look okay together or should i do a different combination? thanks everyone!

24 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 25

I say go for it! I feel your pain, I too am waiting for my first 'real' wedding cake - all I've done so far is a croquembouche (big profiterole tower thing), and then in August I've got to do a chocolate fudge cake with 144 brownies in tiers. Why can't someone ask me to do something normal???!!! A 6,8 &10 will look fine, you can't really tell what sizes tiers are unless there's something else in the picture to give the cake perspective! Enjoy your spare time doing what you love, I'm sure the cakes will find a home somewhere!. Good luck!

tysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tysmom Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 25

I am right there with you!! I did do a practice wedding cake just to put in my album, it was small, but it was practice!! I cant wait to get an order for one!!! icon_smile.gif
I say go for it!!

Charb31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charb31 Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 25

Do the wedding cake!! Save the 6" for a 'special" surprise for your husband maybe on Saturday nite after a nice dinner just for the two of you!! Make sure you take a picture and post it so we can see it! I haven't taken course 3 yet either (my instructor is in the UK), but I have done a very simple but elegant cake for a couple that was together for 13 yrs before they got married. She just loved it! GO FOR IT!!! icon_smile.gif))

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 25

Go for it I was the same way a couple of weeks ago I have a friend that needed a wedding shower cake she asked if I could make her a cake, all she wanted was a cake to feed 20 people she said you can do anything you want I trust you so I thought here is my chance I made her a 3 tier cake I made gum paste roses (first time ever) and decorated it just like a wedding cake when she came to pick it up she was amazed she said this cake was prettier than her own wedding cake I was so happy I didnt charge her much because really all she wanted was a small cake I had fun doing it and I got the experience so we both came out ahead I have not posted pictures of it yet but as soon as I get them I will but if you look at my photos its simpler to my sons graduation cake only one layer smaller for each tier so please do it youll have fun and just think their will be no pressure enjoy.

Molly2
icon_biggrin.gif

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 8:38pm
post #6 of 25

The only real way to learn a new technique is to do it! You can give the other layers away to neighbors. Mine love it when I call to say I've got cake!!!!

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 8:48pm
post #7 of 25

If I could afford the ingredients I'd be making practice cakes all the time. I say you should do it! Go ahead and practice with real cake, using pillars and dowels and whatever else you need. Decorate and take photos, then take apart and give the tiers away to friends, neighbors, co-workers and such. A great way to drum up some business! Give everyone a link to a website or photo diary (like a blog) where they can see what it is that you do.
I'd like to be able to do this too. Experiment with flavors, recipes, different types of mediums and just have a great time of it. You'll learn a lot and find out for sure if it's something you really want to commit too. If I had a job... I'd have two! If that makes any sense!!! lol. I'd be in the kitchen baking up a storm. icon_wink.gif

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 9:12pm
post #8 of 25

Go ahead and do it. The only wedding cake I have done was my daughters. I can't really use that one as a guide because I baked and iced it at home then transported it 500 miles and decorated it in our suite at the hotel. It turned out perfect after I did the sting work about 10 times each tier. because it had to be perfect . But I did many other practice cakes that went to work with me. I also took them to our fire department. The guys were thrilled to get home made cake for dessert.

Sammy-2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sammy-2002 Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 9:34pm
post #9 of 25

I would definitely encourage you to do a practice wedding cake if you can afford to do so. It may be better to do a tiered cake, rather than a stacked cake if you're going to send the cake to several different places when you're done. That way you can just take a plate off and box it up.

bubba21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubba21 Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 10:41pm
post #10 of 25

Just do it !!!! and have fun with it icon_smile.gif have a party and eat cake!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 2:17pm
post #11 of 25

i did my tiered cake... it's not much... just a 6 and 8" for the 4th of july... at least i got to try to do a ruffle border and some stringwork... just thought i'd post it to show everyone icon_smile.gif
LL

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 2:54pm
post #12 of 25

So pretty Congrats thumbs_up.gif

Molly2

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 3:03pm
post #13 of 25

do it. at the worst, you toss the cake when you are done. you get the practice, which is what you really want anyway.

Is it really so bad to throw away a cake once in awhile?

nalyjuan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nalyjuan Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 3:04pm
post #14 of 25

It came out beautiful...nice concept...great job!!

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 3:04pm
post #15 of 25

Great job, very pretty.

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 3:06pm
post #16 of 25

When I want to try something new...I like to talk my customers into letting me try it in exchange for a discount on their cake.

As for the wedding cake: you could easily make a tier cake for a birthday party as well. I can definitely see a "princess" themed cake.

You could decorate the cake with flowers - take the picture...and then from there you can add towers and turns the cake into a castle, or put wands and crowns, and "finish" the cake as anything you wanted.

Perhaps there is an anniversary coming up in your family or circle of friends. Your "practice" could turn into one great gift!

bubbiesbougie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubbiesbougie Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 4:13pm
post #17 of 25

STYROFOAM! I have made several pratice cakes using it and you can use it over and over. All you need is the icing. once the cake is done you have taken a picture wipe the icing off and make a new one. I did this for all three of my Wilton couse. I WAS NOT GOING to gain weight just to learn how to decorate a cake. GO FOR IT!
thumbs_up.gif

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 4:20pm
post #18 of 25

This nice thing about the styrofoam dummy decorating is that you don't have to work on it continously. It never gets stale. icon_smile.gif So take your time at perfecting your skills. And it is a lot lower in calories. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

MaryD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryD Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 6:23pm
post #19 of 25

I have a friend who orders cakes from me from time to time. The only thing she usually demands is chocolate cake so I can do pretty much whatever I want. She wanted a cake for work last week, and I was dying to try marbling fondant so I did. She is happy to be my guinea pig. She is the ONLY person who gets my cakes for the price of ingredient. In turn I get to do whatever I want.

DebbiN67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbiN67 Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 12:14pm
post #20 of 25

Hi eveyrone. I am new to this board and have been reading everything for the past few days, whew, ALOT of reading. I am no professional cake decorator, but do enjoy giving new ideas a whirl. I came across this board while surfing the internet for a cake idea for my daughter's upcoming 16th birthday. My question is this...........I noticed a yellow page section but thought for sure there would be a "decorator for hire" section, does that make sense? I know the cake I am looking for I can't make, at least not without practicing a few times, and I don't have the time. But.........I have admired everyone's work for days and would love to have someone make me a cake for my daughters party. Besides going through the member list and looking for people in my area, is there another way to go about finding a baker within this board?
I would love to be someone's "practice dummy" and pay them for practicing, it would definately be better than what I could produce.

Any thoughts or comments?

Debbie

Ksue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ksue Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 12:18pm
post #21 of 25

Debbie - tell us where you live! Surely someone here will know someone in your area and alert them to your needs ...

DebbiN67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbiN67 Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 12:43pm
post #22 of 25

thumbs_up.gif

I didn't want to break any forum rules, but.........I am in Illinois, about 10 miles west of Chicago, in Brookfield (yes, the zoo town).

Thanks for the quick reply!!

Debbie

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 12:47pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabuda

i did my tiered cake... it's not much... just a 6 and 8" for the 4th of july... at least i got to try to do a ruffle border and some stringwork... just thought i'd post it to show everyone icon_smile.gif

Really beautiful cake!! thumbs_up.gif

funkychica1_2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funkychica1_2004 Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 2:49pm
post #24 of 25

I like it a lot! It's very cute!!

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 3:10pm
post #25 of 25

mommabuda what a pretty cake! If that's your result I say practice all the time, your cake book will be amazing! Great job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%