Skewers As Cookie "sticks"?

Baking By projectqueen Updated 21 Jun 2006 , 3:56pm by slejdick

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 4

I see that some of you say you use wood skewers as cookie sticks.

I have a couple of questions. Are these the ones with the flat top and the pointy end that come in a big bag at the dollar store?

If so, which end goes into the cookie? The flat one or the pointy one?

The skewers are long. How do you cut them and do you do it before or after the cookie is baked on the stick?

They look skinny. Are they strong enough to support the weight of the cookie and do they stand up okay in green dry styrofoam (like the kind in bricks from AC Moore or Michaels?)

TIA!

3 replies
manatee19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manatee19 Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 4

I use skewers...I've found that I don't like the white cookie sticks. I insert my sticks right when they come out of the oven-so the white sticks clumped the cookie.

I get mine at good old Target. They are $1.35 for, I think, 25 or more. I can't remember.

I ones I find can be used for most of my stick cookies. I have thicker ones that I save for my bigger cookies. I insert the sharp end into the cookie right when it comes out of the oven.

I have a few different lenghts of skewers, but I normally trim them once the bouquet is in front of my and I'm trying to change the height, I just use scissors to trim the skewers.

Hope this helps

shrek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shrek Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 4

I use the skewers found at the dollar stores. I insert them into the cookie before baking. I usually put the flat point into the cookie so the pointy side can go into the foam. If the cookie if really heavy I use two skewers, but I sometimes use only one. The skewers at the dollar store are so much cheaper than dowels.

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 4

I use them also. I do have some thin (1/8 inch) dowels and other things that I can use for really big cookies or ones that need a longer stick, but most of mine do fine with the skewers. I always put the blunt end into the cookie, I wouldn't put the sharp end in because you just know somebody will eat the cookie without taking it off the stick and get poked in the mouth with the point! icon_surprised.gif

I have a pair of dog toenail clippers (brand new bought just for cookie sticks) that I use to cut the pointy end off, and trim to the right length when I make the bouquets.

They work fine in the green floral foam - the only minor problem I've had is that sometimes they tend to spin a bit in the foam so that the cookies aren't exactly facing the right way, but usually that's only if the stick isn't centered well in the cookie.

They do come in different thicknesses and different lengths, also, but I've found that they're the same price regardless of length in most places. I have found them at Dollar Tree (nice thick ones, 150 for $1.00), at Old Time Pottery (thick ones, 100 for .69) and several other places for about a penny each, so the price is certainly right, LOL!

Laur.a

hth!
Laura.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%