Cheap Cakes!!!!!!!!!!!

Decorating By klsrtr Updated 21 Jan 2014 , 5:50pm by cakeyouverymuch

klsrtr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klsrtr Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 21

I heard some one talking about they only paid $30 for their wedding cake. They said that it came from Sam's Club. Well I was curious and called our local Sam's myself, they said that I could get a 10" round cake with basic decoration which is some roses for 9.67, can you believe that.
Of course they don't sit the cakes up but they have stands that they sell for like $16. And they have gumpaste floral sprays for $14.
It blows my mind and I also ask about sheet cakes and they said that they do 1/2 sheets for around 15.00. I know that they are a big company and all but 9.67 for a 10" round is crazy. We are getting ready to have one go up in our town and now I am scared that it will hurt my small amount of cakes that I am doing. I usually charge around $30-$35 for my 10" 3-layer cakes, and that is with fondant bows and accents.

HOW DO THEY DO THIS??????
How much are cheap cakes in your area?
Kim

20 replies
knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 21

Your customers will most likely always be your customers!

I say that, because there's truly no comparison between a custom-made homemade cake and a chain store frozen block of goo.

They can charge those prices, because they don't have to make each cake individually, or pay RETAIL prices for their supplies, etc. They are a huge conglomerate, with holdings in all the areas of that cake--from the flour to the baking pans--in some area they have holdings in all the companies and areas that are involved in getting the cake from a concept to being an actual cake!

That's how they do it--but I'm sure that once people TASTE the cakes from them, and they remember YOURS--they'll be back!

Good luck,
--Knox--

klsrtr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klsrtr Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 21

I know that ALL of my customers say that they love my cakes and that I am their person will get all their cakes from, from now on, but it is just the thought of the "cheaper cakes" being so close now. And I know that my icing is fresh and it don't come out of a 5-gallon bucket, and my cakes are always made to order, NEVER frozen. (nothing wrong with freezing cakes I just don't have the room and I don't like the way frozen cakes taste, and I can taste it.)

Kim

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 21

People will come to you for a fresh cake with special touchs you just can't get at Sam's. Their cakes come to them frozen and none of their icing or fillings are fresh. You can customize a cake for each event/customer, Sam's can't. You can create tons of delicious flavor/filling combinations, Sam's can't. There are lots of reasons people will come to you. If someone wants a cheap cake, they will go to Sam's. If they want a quality product, that is unique they will come to you! icon_smile.gif

MsTonyasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsTonyasCakes Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 21

Have you ever TASTED a cake from Sam's? It's really nasty!! They are dry and tasteless, the box it comes in probably tastes just as good! And, BTW, that was my opinion BEFORE I started decorating! My aunt bought one from Sam's for a reunion once. Everyone got a piece, but no one ate more than one bite of it! How embarrasing! icon_redface.gif She didnt' care, she still said it was a lot of cake for the money. Some people will never learn, all they know is saving money. This comes from a true coupon cutter and clearance rack shopper too thumbs_up.gif ! Anyway, if you're not over-charging for your cakes and it doesn't sound like you are, people will come to you because they want to be proud of what they're serving. They want everyone to say Wow! where did you get this wonderful cake! You may slow a little at first because some may try theirs, but most of your customers will come back to you! Good Luck! icon_wink.gif

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 12:35am
post #6 of 21

If they aren't getting it from the grocery store already...you have nothing to worry about. They already know that they want a delicious cake from you!!

4dollars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4dollars Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 3:06pm
post #7 of 21

This morning I asked our grocery store deli clerk how much there 1/2 sheets cakes were, and she told me they were $15! I don't make cakes to sell, just for friends and family, but I want to go into business one day.(Got to get legal first) I have no idea what the other 2 local cake bakers get for it, but there is no way I could afford a legal kitchen and all of the required expenses on $15 a cake!

1mommyCan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1mommyCan Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 11:06pm
post #8 of 21

How much for a cake like this?

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 11:33pm
post #9 of 21

AOk people, please go Google "loss leaders", and take a breath. They are priced low like that on purpose.

AZCouture Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 11:35pm
post #10 of 21

A

Original message sent by 1mommyCan

[URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3171272/width/350/height/700] [/URL] What are you asking? How much the grocery store sells that for? Probably not much.

How much for a cake like this?

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 11:56pm
post #11 of 21

you newb, AZ, 2006 thread :P

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 11:57pm
post #12 of 21

1MommyCan~~Welcome to the forum.  This topic is  8 years old.  Here are some current articles.  Since you are new to this forum, you may not know that the question of pricing is asked about 100 times a week (or more). 

Here are some excellent articles on "How did you arrive at that price?", and what a serving size looks like and how to cut a cake.  Please read each of these and then research whether selling cakes from your home location is legal.

How Much to Charge for my Cakes?

http://www.cakeboss.com/CakeStuff/Articles/HowMuchShouldICharge.aspx

Pricing Cakes Like a Pro (Craftsy)

http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2013/09/pricing-cakes-like-a-pro/

New cake business at home...help!

http://cakecentral.com/t/742057/new-cake-business-at-home-help

How'd you arrive at that number?

http://staceyssweetshop.blogspot.com/2011/08/howd-you-arrive-at-that-number.html

Wilton wedding serving size chart

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Lark Cake Shop Cake Serving Guide:

http://larkcakeshop.com/CakeServeGuide2.pdf

Sample Cake Serving Sizes -- made of Paper or Cardstock

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=142470&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

How To Cut a Wedding Cake:

http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/search/label/cake%20comb

AZCouture Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 12:00am
post #13 of 21

AWell how the heck was it in latest topics then? Seriously, I didn't go looking for this thread, it was right up there with the current ones. Geez!

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 12:10am
post #14 of 21

oh, maybe there is a post not showing up for me. Apti's post makes it sound like someone other than you resurrected it.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 3:37am
post #15 of 21

It tells you something for sure, this is an old concern, and has never changed. 

Apti Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 4:08pm
post #16 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 

oh, maybe there is a post not showing up for me. Apti's post makes it sound like someone other than you resurrected it.

1MommyCan was there!!!  Honest!!!!!   I was just trying to head off another Battle at the OK Corral (and I'd just typed all the same info about 3 hours earlier and figured why not use it again with copy/paste -- much easier)

Insert Twilight Zone Music <<<...................>>>

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 4:09pm
post #17 of 21

A

Original message sent by Apti

1MommyCan was there!!!  Honest!!!!!   I was just trying to head off another Battle at the OK Corral (and I'd just typed all the same info about 3 hours earlier and figured why not use it again with copy/paste -- much easier)

Insert Twilight Zone Music <<<...................>>>

Yep, I saw the post; it was there! (I chose not to touch it though...)

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 4:14pm
post #18 of 21

since this topic is old news, can I just bogart the thread to say that every time I see AZ's cakes somewhere on the internet, being praised for their beauty I feel a little proud that I "know" her?

tee hee!

well done girl!

I aspire! I aspire!

jen

Apti Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 4:58pm
post #19 of 21

Bogart away, Ellavanilla!   Every time I see a photo of one of her creations, I have to tamp down a strong urge to drive to Yuma from San Diego and genuflect at the feet of a master.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 5:28pm
post #20 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apti 

Bogart away, Ellavanilla!   Every time I see a photo of one of her creations, I have to tamp down a strong urge to drive to Yuma from San Diego and genuflect at the feet of a master.

I second that devotion.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 5:50pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti 

I second that devotion

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%