What Size Rolling Pin Do You Have?

Baking By Phyllis52 Updated 18 May 2007 , 1:33pm by IHATEFONDANT

Phyllis52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyllis52 Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:47am
post #1 of 12

I'm just wondering if everyone uses a regular size rolling pin or has something different.

I can't cut out many cookies once I put my parchment between my two pieces of wood I use as guides. Only about 10" wide.

Am I missing something?
icon_confused.gif
Thanks.
Phyllis

11 replies
miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 18 May 2007 , 1:01am
post #2 of 12

I also use a 10" rolling pin when cutting out my cookies. I cut them one by one on small pieces of parchment paper so each cookie is on its own parchment paper. Then I transfer 6 of these on a cookie sheet to refrigerate and bake.

tricia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tricia Posted 18 May 2007 , 2:40am
post #3 of 12

I use a small rolling pin (4")with a handle. I think it is a wilton brand - wood. I love it..I only roll out enough dough for no more than 2 or 3 cookies at a time...I know it takes longer, but I love the handle on the rolling pin, so easy to roll.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 18 May 2007 , 3:11am
post #4 of 12

Same here. Really need a longer rolling pin. I can only roll out 3-5 cookies depending on the cutter.

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 18 May 2007 , 3:50am
post #5 of 12

I recently got this one:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/detail.jsp?id=6989

I love it! It's 20 inches long, and is sort of tapered out on either end so I don't think it's possible to accidentally roll right through the dough. Also got the rings they sell there and it's a big help.

Phyllis52 Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:02pm
post #6 of 12

czyadgrl,
Did you get the blue one - the ends don't look tapered.It's 20 inches. If that's it, how do you like it without handles?

Thanks.
Phyllis

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:14pm
post #7 of 12

I have a 10" one, a 6 " one my husband made for me on the lathe, and a 20" one like czyadgirl--bought from Walmart. It has tapered handles and it works nicely. I can roll about 1/3 to 1/2 of the batch of NFSC at once.

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:32pm
post #8 of 12

I have a regular sized wooden one from the "olden days", but the other day I was at Home Depot and bought a 2ft piece of pvc pipe. The looks the 80+year old helper gave me when I was trying different diameters to see how they roll AND when I asked if it came any smaller. I laughed while I told him it was my new rolling pin. No handles, but seems as though it will work well, although with that length I have to make sure the whole counter is cleared--knocked over the large plastic(Thanks God!!) of vanilla playing with it.

Phyllis52 Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:54pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks, everybody -

I think I might look for a longer one.

Oh, one more question - anybody use the rings on them? My 1/4" wooden strips keep getting lose from my tape!

Phyllis

czyadgrl Posted 18 May 2007 , 1:28pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyllis52

czyadgrl,
Did you get the blue one - the ends don't look tapered.It's 20 inches. If that's it, how do you like it without handles?

Thanks.
Phyllis

Maybe tapered wasn't the right word to describe it. I have seen those rolling pins that really taper almost to a point at either end. This is sort of the opposite of that.

Each end sort of buldges ever so slightly outward, so it's just a little tiny bit thicker than the center. Probably 1/8" larger diameter. Just enough so there's less of a chance of putting a hole in fondant or dough while rolling it out thin.

When the pin is sitting on the counter, you can see a little gap between the pin and the counter, except on the very ends at each side.

Hopefully that makes more sense?

I don't think they mention this, but it's something I noticed and it's a neat little feature.

It's also sold as a Sil-Pin I believe.

Having no handles took a little getting used to, but I really like it, especially being a longer pin. You roll completely differently than with the handles. Just a different motion, to me anyway.

czyadgrl Posted 18 May 2007 , 1:30pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyllis52

Thanks, everybody -

I think I might look for a longer one.

Oh, one more question - anybody use the rings on them? My 1/4" wooden strips keep getting lose from my tape!

Phyllis

I use the rings and really like them.

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 18 May 2007 , 1:33pm
post #12 of 12

Go to Home Depot and get yourself a piece of PVC pipe...that is what I use and I love it. icon_biggrin.gif I use it to roll cookie dough and to roll out big pieces of fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%